BIW Welding & Joining Engineer Job Highlights
|Title||BIW Welding & Joining Engineer|
|Location||Fremont, CA, United States|
Tesla works on the mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy through increasingly affordable electric vehicles in addition to renewable energy generation and storage.
The company is looking for an Engineer who will be responsible for supporting new EV vehicle launches and carry-over programs in the body shop by completing all aspects of Weld Verification and Qualification.
The engineer is responsible to understand and enforce all welding standards and review strategic supplier processing for adherence to them.
- The applicants should have passed a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from a college/university.
- They should have a combination of directly related working experience (minimum 3 years) in the automotive organization.
- The candidates should have 3 years of related work experience.
- Assist in the integration, start-up, and debug of plant floor welding equipment
- Communicate Lessons learned during and on completion of launch.
- Coordinate business process and re-engineering projects
- Define/Execute program work testing in Tesla’s Labs and/or supplier facilities.
- Interface with Strategic Suppliers to verify compliance to standards.
- Provide support during the implementation phase at the plant
- Provide technical direction to suppliers and plant teams.
- Support implementation of new technologies on programs through engineering phase, prototype builds, and launch.
- Work closely with ME Body Center and functional areas to define welding system requirements
- Work closely with operating unit(s) on welding systems to improve productivity, cost, and quality
- Work with other engineers, skilled trades, and managers to accomplish cross-functional projects, provide project cost and timing estimates, and support plant product program launches
- Ability to create/execute a well-organized validation project where standardized work is not available
- Ability to multitask by handling diverse assignments concurrently
- Ability to read and understand CAD drawings of mechanical systems, wiring/hosing diagrams, and product designs
- Body shop launch and plant experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of mechanical and electrical systems used in joining processes (weld controller, weld gun, servo, robot, riveting, projection welding, dispense, tip dressing, auto cap changer, laser)
- Develop common welding specifications and standards
- Implement common welding systems
- Knowledge of Mechanical Joining Process – Flow Drill Screws, Self-Pierce Rivets, Clinching, Etc.
- Knowledge of robotic gas metal arc welding and resistance welding systems
- Knowledge of Tooling and Equipment Troubleshooting
- Knowledge of weld data systems
- Knowledge of weld verification procedures, weld documentation, and build shop support
- Strong verbal/written communication skills to support technology documentation and training requirements
- High level of analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills involving the ability to work effectively cross-functionally and cross-culturally
- Thorough understanding of body shop equipment and processes
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.tesla.com.