Certified Weld Inspector (CWI) Job Highlights
|Title||Certified Weld Inspector (CWI)|
|Type||Full Time (night shift)|
|Location||Brownsville, TX, United States|
SpaceX manufactures, designs, and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft. It aims to revolutionize space transportation, with the ultimate goal of making life multi-planetary. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The company is seeking a CWI for inspections and join its team actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate.
- Current American Welding Society (AWS) Certified Welding Inspector (CWI)
- 2+ years of experience in welding inspection as a level II NDE/NDT technician
- 5+ years of experience in an occupational function that has a direct relationship to the design, production, construction, or repair of weldments being fabricated to a specified code, other standards, or a contract requirement
- Extensive knowledge of industry standards including AWS and ASME
- NDE qualifications in MT, PT, ET, RT, UT, or PAUT
- NDT Level II certification in line with ASNT-TC-1A or NAS-410 in ultrasonic testing (UT) including Phased Array ultrasonic testing (PAUT)
- Working knowledge of surface and subsurface NDE methodologies
- Appraise welding joint designs and joint preparations for compliance with a drawing
- Assist in training and developing of other teammates
- Assure proper control and handling of welding consumables
- Assure the product’s conformity to drawings and specifications
- Confirm adequate documentation of fabrication and inspection activities
- Interpret and review engineering drawings as required
- Interpret codes and Specifications in accordance with the drawing requirements
- Interpret, evaluated, communicate and report findings to production and engineering
- Monitor welding processes such as gas tungsten arc welding, gas metal arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, and shielded metal arc welding, and plasma arc welding and assure they are performed in accordance with qualified procedures
- Oversee NDT examinations, proof, and if required mechanical testing
- Oversee repair activities
- Perform internal and external inspections to determine if a weldment meets the acceptance criteria of a specific code, standard, or document
- Perform surface and near-surface NDE inspections with eddy current, dye penetrant, and magnetic particle inspection methods
- Recommend and approve repairs as well as performing a visual inspection of work in progress and completed work
- Support the development of NDE inspection techniques for complex geometries
- Use a computer to compile and submit data of acceptance or rejection of weld quality, as well as for inter-office communications
- Verify and document welder qualifications
- Verify cleanliness and weld surface quality
- Verify preheat and interpass temperatures
- Verify proper fit, cleanliness, and environmental conditions
- Verify proper performance of post-weld heat treatments
- Verify tack weld quality
- Verify the compliance of base metals with the applicable specifications
- Verify the interpass and final cleaning
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively to remote sites for initial build and upgrades
- Ability to lift 25lbs. unassisted, bend stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, walk, and/or run
- Willingness to work overtime and on weekends if needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an EOE and provides employment on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.