Chargehand Welder Job Highlights
|Location||Bristol, England, UK|
Amey is a leading infrastructure service and engineering company. Amey is a part of Ferrovial, one of the world’s leading infrastructure operators and municipal services companies.
The company is seeking a Chargehand Welder to join its team in maintaining the M48 Severn Bridge and M4 Second Severn Crossing.
To assist the Operational Team and Ganger by managing all routine and re-active maintenance activities and elements of emergency response operations on the Severn Bridges contract including the operation and maintenance of the underdeck access gantries on the Severn Bridges.
- No education level is mentioned, yet having a basic education will be a plus.
- Experience in performance monitoring and continuous improvement
- Experience in a similar role
- Bridge experience desirable
- Act as weld co-ordinator, planning and managing a welding programme of work, checking that welding work is being undertaken in accordance with existing weld procedures in terms of quality and conformance and developing new weld procedures where required.
- Experience in structural steel fabrication, primarily welding with MMA, additional experience in MIG/TIG would be advantageous.
- Provide shop floor supervision to the welder/fabricator team and other trades as required.
- The work is of a craft nature and as such, the post holder should be a time served or appropriately qualified tradesman from an engineering discipline.
- Welder/Fabricator coded to 4G minimum MMA. To carry out all welding/fabricating duties of an engineering nature at Severn Bridge, Prince of Wales Bridge and Avonmouth Bridge as required.
- Act as weld co-ordinator for all welding works on the contract
- Brief team on specific work
- Brief the work gangs via regular toolbox talks and safety briefings, ensuring PPE is adhered to correctly
- Carry out the prescribed controls on access, personnel and use
- Emergency call outs and for other occasions as required, engage with the supply chain, when necessary and ensure that their work is undertaken safely and to the required standard
- Ensure all COSHH data is available for employees when required
- Ensure that employees accurately record their use of vibrating equipment to ensure HAVs audits are recorded and that this does not exceed the recommended levels
- Ensure that the waste produced on site is correctly identified and disposed of in the approved manner
- Ensure that the work gang accurately records all work carried out on their PDA so that accurate valuation can be submitted to the Client and ‘as built’ details and records can be provided if and when required
- Ensure that the work gang is provided with the correct materials for their work and that it is used in accordance with the specification, and with minimal waste
- Ensure that work is being undertaken safely, to the required standards and in accordance with the work programme, RAMS and CDM requirements
- Maintain communications and coordinate the response to emergencies
- Monitor operations and work, and instigate corrective actions
- Oversee the preparations before welding work takes place
- Mentor employees and apprentices as required
- Commercial awareness
- Customer relationship skills
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Good liaison and interpersonal skills team management skills
- Individuals should be enthusiastic, proactive, health and safety conscious, and good team players.
- NVQ Level 2 or City and Guilds
- Participation in emergency and winter service delivery availability to work at nights and weekends and take part in calls on the Rota system
- Self-motivated and proactive in delivering solutions
- Understand client business, requirements, service needs and aspirations
- Use of Microsoft Office programmes to a basic standard
- Willingness to work outside in all conditions.
To apply for this job please visit www.amey.co.uk.