Computational Materials Scientist Job Highlights
|Title||Computational Materials Scientist|
|Location||Southfield, MI, United States|
Eaton improves the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. We provide sustainable solutions to manage electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical power – more safely, more efficiently, and more reliably.
The Materials group at Eaton’s Research Labs (ERL) is hiring a Computational Materials Scientist who will focus on cutting-edge research in data-driven design.
The position will be part of a team working on digital design and qualification frameworks for advanced manufacturing methods at the forefront of the intersection of materials and data science applied to optimization in design and manufacturing; design using human-AI interaction across the engineering design process, and AI and ML approaches for design and system science.
Relocation assistance will be provided if needed.
- The applicants should have a Master’s Degree in Materials Science or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- The candidates should have 1+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: computational solid mechanics, multi-objective optimization, multiscale modeling, application of AI/ML for materials and design
- Familiarity with machine learning and application of computational approaches, including artificial intelligence to engineering challenges
- Actively contributes to high-quality intellectual property that has business and technology importance.
- Be a key member of the Digital Design and Qualification team: bringing innovation into materials and product design using computational as well as experimental methods and creating unique intellectual property
- Be a thought leader at the intersection of materials and data science
- Demonstrate the ability to develop novel technology areas and translate them into applications. Coordinates from concept to the implementation stage, managing deliverables executed by multi-disciplinary teams, and serves as an expert resource for other engineers.
- Develop computational performance prediction models
- Develop engineering automation tools for multiscale material and part design
- Develop novel government programs for advanced research in materials and data science in areas such as additive manufacturing, new material systems development, and surrogate models for design and manufacturing.
- Develop optimization framework to design multi-physical, multi-functional, and manufacturable components
- Drive skill development and routinely mentor others in a technical specialty.
- Execute technology strategy and develop constructive solutions aligned to business needs.
- Form a network and promote technology as a thought leader.
- Identify open innovation opportunities with universities and external institutes that align with the Technology Platform strategy.
- Identify opportunities or connections that enhance business performance.
- Lead advanced characterization of materials using tools such as electron microscope, high energy x-ray tomography, atom probe tomography, and other tools.
- Lead the development of technology roadmaps for specific applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall Eaton Research Labs and company strategies.
- Using machine learning/deep learning to create reduced-order models for part design and qualification and materials selection,
- Work with different BUs and develop new proposals after understanding their requirements
- Expert level first principal engineering knowledge of metals and materials.
- Knowledge of chemical, physical and mechanical properties as well as evaluation methods (mechanical testing, metallography, SEM, non-destructive inspection) is preferred.
- Ph.D. from an accredited Institution
- Application of computational approaches, including artificial intelligence for solid mechanics, predictive modeling, digital materials and manufacturing, new materials development, and design automation
- Demonstrated leadership in AI/ML in design or materials and expertise in the application of such techniques for material discovery and/or design automation
- The required area of technical expertise includes an extensive understanding of stress-strain analysis, statistical analysis, fatigue, failure analysis, physical testing and characterization methods, heat-treating processes, metal manufacturing methods specifically additive manufacturing,
- Understanding of processing-microstructure-property-performance of metallic/structural materials.
The company provides benefits that are industry-competitive and focused on employee well-being. They are offered globally, but program availabilities may vary by site.
- Benefits Offered Day One (health, dental, vision, and wellness programs)
- Competitive compensation packages to reward skills and performance
- Donation matching (US, Canada, Puerto Rico)
- Healthcare/retirement savings programs
- Tuition assistance or financial help for ongoing learning and development
- Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future
Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. The company is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.eaton.com.