Website Lincoln Electric
Corporate Metallurgist Job Highlights
|Cleveland, OH, United States
Lincoln Electric is a global manufacturer of the highest quality welding, cutting, and joining solutions ranging from simple to complex.
The company is hiring a Corporate Metallurgist who will join the team as a Subject Matter Specialist working with Lincoln Electric Global Subsidiaries to improve processes, technologies, and cost structures, and promote the continuous improvement of Consumables Manufacturing in the pursuit of Operational Excellence. This includes benchmarking, standardization, audits, and analysis of opportunities.
Contribute to research and development projects supporting the design of welding consumables and production of large-scale metal additive manufacturing with a specific focus on welding metallurgy, welding process development, post-weld heat treatment, and material properties characterization.
- MS Degree in Welding Engineering, Metallurgy, or Materials Science (college/university)
- Equivalent BS Degree backed by experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a consumables-related environment in the areas of R&D, Methods, or Manufacturing design.
- Practical experience with engineering statistics
- The selected candidate’s Job Level and Pay Grade will be determined based on qualifications and experience. Candidates will not be expected to relocate.
- Apply engineering and scientific principles in the design and execution of development projects. Assignments are broad in scope, requiring originality and ingenuity within the specific field of specialization. Typically works as part of a cross-functional team on projects of larger scope and greater complexity.
- Assist in the development of new welding consumables, welding procedures, and material properties characterization to launch new consumables products and support the adoption of additively manufactured parts.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as needed or directed in support of the Company’s Future Strategy.
- Communicate technical details of various metal alloy systems including low carbon steels, high strength low allow steels, stainless steels, nickel alloys, and others to internal and external customers.
- Maintain records of all work in process and document interim/final results in the applicable format. These include Project Definitions, Milestone Plans, ES Reports, Technical Reports, Project Tracking Progress Reports, and presentations at meetings/seminars.
- May provide task-oriented direction to Interns, Technicians, Technologists, or lower-level Engineers in the execution of development projects.
- Support and coordinate Technology Transfer projects throughout Lincoln Global.
- Support Consumable Operations in problem solving/resolution from simple engineering solutions to complex engineering solutions involving deep-dive studies and engineering analysis.
- Typically, work with minimal direct supervision and appreciable latitude for independent action or decision while conferring with superiors as needed.
- Work and collaborate effectively with other functional units to provide technical and operational support to Global R&D.
- Basic programming experience (LabVIEW, C, C++, C#, Python, etc.)
- Experience with Microscopy techniques and characterization of weld metal
- Experience with Non-Destructive Testing techniques (VT, PT, RT, or UT)
- Experience with or exposure to 3D Printing
- Familiarity or experience with LEAN manufacturing or Continuous Improvement
- Familiarity with welding codes and standards (AWS or ASME)
- MS or PhD in Welding Engineering, Metallurgy, or Materials Science
- Practical welding experience – especially Laser or GMAW
- Able to effectively communicate both written and verbally.
- Able to lead projects or specific tasks within and take accountability for meeting objectives.
- Able to manage multiple tasks and assignments simultaneously.
- Able to travel 15 – 35% although periodically could exceed this amount depending on a specific project need.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, when needed, to promote the faster execution of engineering or production efforts.
- Computer literate with working knowledge of MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Overseas travel is required.
- Possesses and applies a broad knowledge of engineering and scientific principles, practices, and procedures, within the field of specialization, to the completion of difficult assignments.
- Works effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
- The company offers competitive pay with a lucrative annual profit-sharing incentive, student loan repayment, tuition reimbursement, paid time off/paid holidays, retirement, medical, dental, vision, and much more.
Lincoln Electric is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, protected veteran status, or disability.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lincolnelectric.com.