Website Shepard Steel Co.
Fitter Job Highlights
|Location||Hartford, CT, United States|
|Company||Shepard Steel Co.|
Shepard Steel Co. is a part of the Architectural and Structural Metals Manufacturing Industry. The company is a structural steel fabrication company that meets the structural and miscellaneous steel requirements of customers.
The company is seeking a Fitter who will be responsible for the fitting, layout, and fabrication of structural steel.
The position will work under the direct supervision of the Production Supervisor.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- The candidates should have previous work experience in the related field.
- Analyze welding procedures, specifications, sketches, and work orders in order to plan and execute layout, assembly, and welding operations.
- To chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter using hand scrapers, power chippers, grinders, or cutting equipment.
- De-burr and grind metal as necessary to achieve proper surface texture per job specifications.
- Knowledge of welding and layout techniques.
- Layout, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly, using straightedges, combination squares, tape measures, etc.
- Mark/tag material with the proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required.
- Monitor the fitting, burning, and welding processes to avoid overheating resulting in warping, distortion, or expansion of the material.
- Perform FCAW and other types of welding based on project needs.
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or thick scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter.
- Read and interpret structural steel drawings/blueprints to perform daily tasks.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding and metal fabrication trade.
- Tack-weld or weld components and assemblies, using welding equipment.
- Weld components in flat, vertical, or horizontal positions.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ability to prioritize tasks and follow specified procedures
- Ability to speak, read and write in English
- Able to work well with minimal supervision as well as with other colleagues
- Must be able to pass a Welding and Fit-up test
- Must be willing to submit to a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check
- Physically capable of bending/twisting as well as standing for long periods of time
- Physically capable of lifting, pushing, and pulling 70 pounds unassisted
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented and has a positive attitude
- Willingness to work overtime as needed
- Valid driver’s license with reliable transportation
- 401(k) Plan with Employer Match/Profit Sharing
- Competitive salary (based on skillset)
- Dental Insurance
- Full-Time Position
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Vacation, Holidays, Earned Days, and Birthdays
- Shepard Steel Co. is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit shepardsteel.bamboohr.com.