General Supervisor (Welding) Job Highlights
|Title||General Supervisor – Welding|
|Location||North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
Seaspan is an association of Canadian companies primarily involved in coastal marine transportation, ship docking/ship escort, ship repair/refit, and shipbuilding services. It also provides commercial ferry, shipyard, and bunkering services via affiliate companies such as Marine Petrobulk, Seaspan Ferries, Vancouver Drydock, Vancouver Shipyards, and Victoria Shipyards.
The company is seeking a General Supervisor (Welding) who will be in charge of leading teams of welding or steel fabrication trades workers, resolving staff requirements, and coordinating work assignments within an assigned Area.
Leads all aspects of and ensures that all work is carried out in accordance with shipyard safety, quality, and environmental standards, policies, and procedures.
To ensure standards are met, regularly check on performance, conduct performance management tasks, including but not limited to disciplining trades employees, approving trade employee timecards, trade employee leave requests, and ensuring the collective agreement is applied appropriately.
The position reports directly to an Area Manager or SOC Manager and requires significant interaction with Trades Managers.
- Applicants should possess a Red Seal certificate, Certifications in Welding, or equivalent experience
- Possess a minimum 5 years of related trade’s work experience outside of any trade’s apprenticeship or educational program
- A minimum of an additional 3 years of previous supervisory experience in a heavy industrial environment, preferably in a unionized environment
- Allocates labour force accordingly with schedule and priorities, assigning work to trades employees with the skill and ability to efficiently complete scheduled work.
- Assists in the determining of work plans, sequences, and schedules, and may be required to assist in preparing estimates.
- Assumes accountability for safety, cost, schedule, and quality performance in the area of responsibility.
- Collaborates with front-line supervision to establish daily and weekly goals and holds employees accountable for performance.
- Committed to the continued improvement of performance, quality, and effort of the welding team, while bringing standard methodologies and efforts to the team.
- Ensures work crews minimize waste expense and unnecessary delays in construction or repair work.
- Follows and implements the collective agreement and standard methodologies to lead trades employees successfully.
- Implements and carries out Seaspan’s health, safety, environmental, and quality processes on the shop floor and strives to eliminate safety hazards at every opportunity.
- Investigates workplace incidents and completes Drug & Alcohol checklists and testing as required.
- Leads by example and demonstrates Seaspan’s core values.
- Partners with Trade Development Managers to ensure trades employees have the skills, equipment, training, and certifications required to perform planned work activities.
- Promotes a work environment that is respectful and harassment-free.
- Raises technical trade issues and implements solutions as identified.
- Reports internally on work process and status to Area Managers or SOC Managers.
- Responsible for delivering product and customer quality standards.
- Responsible for interpreting work order specifications and manufacturing information by ensuring work orders are completed, keeping updated on standards, changes in plans, and provision of materials.
- Responsible for reprimanding, including performance and attendance management, termination of employment, and assigning or removing chargehand responsibilities from trades employees.
- Responsible for timekeeping administration and approval for both direct and indirect reports.
- Works collaboratively with Trade Development Managers, HSE, Quality, Human Resources, and the Employee Relations teams as required.
- Works with Management to eliminate inefficient work practices and promote continuous process improvement (“CPI”) daily.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- Ability to build effective working relationships and collaborate with others towards a shared goal.
- Ability to equip others, lead change, have difficult conversations, and coordinate discipline when required.
- Appreciation and understanding of the value of diversity within a team.
- Conflict resolution and influencing skills to resolve disagreements quickly and efficiently, bringing a problem-solving demeanour to conflicting approaches and priorities.
- Dedication to safety and quality, with experience in the application of behavioural-based safety.
- Proficiency with MS Office products and web-based applications.
- Proficient knowledge of trade responsibilities specific to heavy manufacturing in welding or metal fabrication.
- Strong written, verbal, and electronic communication skills.
- Time management and organization skills with a proven dedication to follow-up and follow-through.
- The company offers an attractive remuneration package with pension contributions, bonus programs, extended medical benefits, dental care, vision care, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, an Employee Assistance Program, as well as free 24-7 access to the company fitness facility for all permanent employees.
Seaspan is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.