Website BAE Systems
Helper – Weld Shop Job Highlights
|Title||Helper – Weld Shop|
|Type||Full Time (1st shift)|
|Location||Norfolk, VA, United States|
BAE Systems is an international defense, aerospace, and security company. It delivers a full range of products and services for air, land, and naval forces. It also provides advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions, and customer support services.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems does the big stuff i.e. the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair, just to name a few.
The company is seeking a Weld Shop Helper who has a proven ability to assist mechanics and supervisors while showing a desire to learn new tasks.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED, or Equivalent
- The candidates should have 6 months to 1 year of an industrial experience
- Ability to comprehend processes and procedures
- Able to read and write.
- Able to understand and follow safety rules
- Assist shop personnel in accomplishing assigned tasks.
- Have a basic understanding of functional theory – based on assigned trade
- Have a general understanding of naval vessel compartment number systems and related vessel terminology
- Have a working knowledge of the WAF (Work Authorization Forms) and its process
- Have a working understanding of Tag Out and Lock Tag-out programs
- Know and understand basic math
- 12 months without any written warnings for rules violation
- Able to report to work on time each day and have a good attendance record
- Able to work overtime when required
- Able to work with others and in a team
- Must have a good performance evaluation
- Able to work around heavy equipment
- Basic knowledge and use of hand tools.
- Be familiar with uses of pneumatic, hydraulic, and electric power tools
- Begin a personal hand tool collection.
- Begin to obtain knowledge of shop equipment/maintenance of equipment
- Able to work at heights (if applicable to trade)
- Assists with setting up jobs with mechanics (welders)
- Basic blueprint reading (Excludes labor shop)
- Basic material identification skills
- Be able to work off scaffolding (if applicable to trade)
- Begins to learn how to grind by assisting mechanics on a job.
- Maintain job site cleanliness
- Make measurements to 1/16″ using measuring tape or ruler. (excludes labor shop)
- Must be able to obtain a government access badge.
- Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral, or diagram form
- Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
- Must be able to use specified tools required tools as determined by the shop management
- Must be able to wear proper PPE
- Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure
- ITAR: U.S Citizen or Green Card Required
BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.baesystems.com.