Lead HVAC Mechanic Job Highlights
|Lead HVAC Mechanic
|Washington, DC, United States
Amentum is a premier global leader in designing, engineering, managing, and modernizing critical systems and programs of national significance across defense, security, intelligence, energy, and the environment.
The company is recruiting a Lead HVAC Mechanic who will install, service, and repair environmental-control systems in residences, department stores, office buildings, and other commercial establishments.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- DC Refrig/Air Cond journeyman mechanic’s license (required)
- Possess work-related experience (a plus)
- Adjust or replace worn or defective mechanisms and parts and reassemble repaired systems.
- Connect motors, compressors, temperature controls, humidity controls, and circulating ventilation fans to control panels and connect control panels to a power source.
- Cut and bend tubing to correct length and shape, using cutting and bending equipment. and tools; cut and thread pipe, using machine-threading or hand-threading equipment; join tubing or pipes to various refrigerating units using sleeves, couplings, or unions; and solder joints, using a torch, forming a complete circuit for the refrigerant.
- Dismantle, troubleshoot, reassemble, and fix malfunctioning systems and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Fabricate, assemble, and install ductwork and chassis parts, using portable metalworking tools and welding equipment.
- Install air and water filters in completed installation, inject a small amount of refrigerant into the compressor to test systems, and add freon gas to build up prescribed operating pressure.
- Install the evaporator unit in the chassis or the air-duct system, using hand tools.
- Install expansion and discharge valves in the circuit.
- May install, repair, and service air conditioners, ranging from fifteen to twenty tons cooling capacity in warehouses and small factory buildings.
- Observe pressure and vacuum gauges and adjust controls to ensure proper operation.
- Replace defective breaker controls, thermostats, switches, fuses, and electrical wiring to repair installed units.
- Test joints and connections for gas leaks, using gauges or soap-and-water solution.
- Utilizing knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting and structural layout, mounting compressor, and condenser units on a platform or floor, using hand tools, and following blueprints or engineering specifications.
- Wrap pipes in insulation batting and secure them in place with cement or wire bands.
- Perform all other position-related duties as assigned or requested.
- Ability to install and service air conditioners, with knowledge of freon gas.
- Ability to repair machines or systems using the applicable tools.
- Ability to use cutting and bending equipment and tools to make tubing the correct length and shape.
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of pressure and vacuum gauges, with an ability to assess and adjust controls to proper operation.
- Knowledge of refrigeration theory, pipefitting, and structural layout.
- The company offers a variety of benefit options including medical, dental, and vision plans; health care flexible spending; employee assistance plans; disability benefits; 401k savings plans; holidays and paid time off; tuition assistance program.
Amentum is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company provides equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
To apply for this job please visit www.amentumcareers.com.