Website Vicinity Energy
Maintenance Mechanic Job Highlights
|Location||Trenton, NJ, United States|
Vicinity Energy is the largest provider of district energy solutions, offering energy investment, infrastructure, and management to municipal, commercial and institutional customers with mission-critical energy needs.
The company is seeking a Maintenance Mechanic who will be responsible for carrying out the daily duties assigned by the Maintenance Manager to maintain the safe, proper, and efficient operation of all plant equipment and systems.
The position works under general supervision as a member of the Maintenance Department to effect repairs, removal/installation of equipment and components, and preventive and corrective maintenance activities to maintain plant equipment in optimal working condition.
The ideal candidate must be willing to become a member of the Local 68, International Union of Operating Engineers Bargaining Unit.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or Equivalency
- Technical trade school coursework
- Welding certification or experience in fabrication
- The candidates should have 5 years of industrial maintenance experience including pipefitting, welding, rigging, and equipment installation, preferably in a cogeneration power plant
- Follows standard and established practices; refers to operation and service
- manuals to evaluate needed repairs, maintenance, and parts.
- Monitors, evaluates, and troubleshoots the condition of operating equipment, controls, and safeties to ensure continued safe operation and life cycle performance.
- Performs routine repairs to pump seals, bearings, etc.
- Prepares and assembles piping/valves systems including threading pipe, welding, brazing, soldering.
- Read prints, diagrams, and drawings necessary to perform maintenance and parts replacement; uses micrometers, dial gauges, strain gauges, etc. to take close tolerance measurements.
- Repairs and maintains diesel engine generators, steam/hot water boilers, electric and absorption chillers, compressors, pumps, piping, and valves.
- Required to actively participate in and complete all required training programs.
- Required to work both scheduled and unscheduled overtime to support plant activities. During outages and emergency events, will be assigned responsibilities outside of normal work duties and at hours outside of the normal workday.
- Responsible for carrying out work assignments in an efficient manner to maximize productivity.
- Responsible for cleaning of assigned work areas and maintenance shop, including proper care and maintenance of tools.
- Responsible for following plant safety procedures, guidelines, and rules as job functions are performed and reporting any unsafe condition or act to the Maintenance Manager.
- Responsible for knowing and following Maintenance Department procedures and policies.
- Responsible for knowing and following the plant environmental procedures and reporting any environmental conditions or acts to the Maintenance Manager.
- Safely operates shop equipment, hand, and power tools for repair work, fabricating, and general shop tasks. Required to operate fork truck in accordance with plant policy and training requirements.
- Works under minimal supervision to repair service and maintain mechanical equipment at cogeneration plant and remote customer sites.
- Applies knowledge of hand and power tools and general repair knowledge to assist in the maintenance and repair of engines, chillers, boilers, compressors, pumps, and all associated equipment. Displays mechanical aptitude in the safe and proper use of tools.
- Cleans, paints, and maintains the engines and other equipment and performs general cleaning in the engine-boiler room area and any other areas to include facilities serviced/operated by Vicinity Energy Company.
- Maintains fuel, lubrication, hydraulic, coolant, water levels of engines, chillers, boilers, expansion tanks, compressors, pumps, and related equipment. Services filters, strainers, etc., as needed.
- Monitors machinery for noise, vibration, etc. to ensure the safe operating condition of machinery and takes immediate corrective action should an unsafe condition exists.
- Performs maintenance tasks on a diesel engine, generator sets such as disassembling and reassembling, head rebuilding, bearing replacement.
- Performs typical industrial maintenance tasks such as replacing pump seals, disassembling, and reassembling pumps and compressors, motor alignment, fan belt changes, oil changes, etc.
- Use of test equipment to perform engine evaluation.
- Acts as a team member with all employees of Vicinity staff.
- Complies with all Vicinity policies and procedures.
- Performs all other tasks as instructed.
- Responsible for maintaining a level of physical fitness necessary to perform all related job elements and physically demanding tasks (i.e., climbing, lifting, carrying, and transporting heavy objects, standing for long durations, crawling through portholes, manways and working in confined spaces, working outdoors during summer and winter, and wearing of personal protective equipment as required).
- Responsible for maintaining a positive attitude, professional and courteous behavior, motivation, initiative, cooperation, and participation.
- Knowledge of boilers, reciprocating engines, refrigeration systems, HVAC equipment, fuel systems
- Must have demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English
- USEPA Refrigeration Certification – Type III or Universal; or ability to obtain certification upon hire.
- Climb stairs and ladders, and work for extended periods while standing or walking.
- Enter and work in a confined space.
- Eyesight corrected to 20/40 to accurately read and interpret instruments and gauges.
- Hear and understand audible alarms, detect changes in noise levels of rotating equipment and portable radio communication.
- Lift 50 lbs. of weight and assist in maneuvering 100 lbs.
- Must maintain valid driver’s license.
- Pass a respirator physical and respirator fit test.
- Work at heights and with adverse conditions during normal and emergency operations.
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Savings Accounts
- Life Insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Days
- Paid Vacation
- Commuter Benefit
- Competitive pay and incentive programs
- Employee Discounts
- Employee Referral Program
- Identity Theft Protection
- Legal Assistance Program
- License Reimbursement
- Matching 401k Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
Vicinity North America is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer. The Company provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
To apply for this job please visit us61e2.dayforcehcm.com.