Website Blue Origin
Manufacturing Engineer – Turbomachinery Job Highlights
|Title||Manufacturing Engineer – Turbomachinery|
|Type||Full Time (Days/Nights Shifts) Level 2/3|
|Location||Kent, WA, United States|
Blue Origin is working on the vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. The company believes we must protect Earth by moving heavy industries that stress our planet into space and finding new energy and material resources. Blue is working on this today by developing operationally reusable launch vehicles that are safe, reliable, and highly available.
The company is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer who will be responsible for developing new rocket engine turbomachinery component manufacturing and assembly processes.
The candidates will translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional turbomachinery hardware ready for test, qualification, and flight.
Throughout the manufacturing process, also identify, develop, and deploy methods to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize the build sequence and schedules of turbopumps and rotating equipment.
The position will also conduct DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test and accelerate the pace of rocket engine development.
- The applicants should have a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Aerospace Engineering for a college/university (other relevant fields may apply)
- The candidates should have 2+ years of direct turbomachinery manufacturing and manufacturing engineering experience in any industry (rocket engines, jet engines, land-based gas turbines, oil, and gas, automotive, etc.)
- Closely manage the manufacturing and build sequences and support schedule development of hardware throughout the entire manufacturing process
- Conduct DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test
- Define and support repair and rework activities of turbomachinery hardware
- Define how to prepare turbopumps for test, qualification, and flight
- Design proper material handling and packaging to protect hardware throughout the build and test process
- Design, procure, install, and integrate custom manufacturing equipment
- Develop manufacturing work instructions to clearly define the following manufacturing process: receiving inspection, fabrication, assembly, test, integration, and refurbishment
- Develop new turbomachinery component manufacturing processes
- Develop process control measures and evaluation through statistical analysis
- Drive and enhance turbomachinery assembly processes
- Identify, develop, and deploy new manufacturing methods (or refine existing) to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize build schedule
- Interface with external suppliers and manufacturing partners to ensure that hardware and equipment is manufactured, processed, packaged, and delivered properly to support engine builds
- Manage hardware configuration and maintain pedigree throughout the entire build and test process
- Perform engineering drawing review and provide final approval for manufacturing
- Support and perform root cause analyses when non-conformances and escapes are identified and deploy corrective actions
- Translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional hardware
- Ability to communicate clearly and appropriately at all levels of the organization
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Direct and extensive experience manufacturing turbomachinery hardware (i.e. castings, forgings, additively manufactured components, welding, machining, cleaning, non-destructive testing methods, tight tolerance assembly, leak testing, and final acceptance testing of integrated hardware)
- Engineering fundamentals for mechanical design and manufacturing
- Proven experience and successful track record developing/starting new manufacturing processes
- Strong written, personal, technical, and software skills (CAD, Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- ITAR – must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The company provides all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law.
To apply for this job please visit blueorigin.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.