Manufacturing Engineer Job Highlights
|Title||Manufacturing Engineer (Dragon Metallic Structures)|
|Location||Hawthorne, CA, United States|
SpaceX designs, manufactures, and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft. It aims to revolutionize space transportation, with the ultimate goal of making life multi-planetary. Dragon currently delivers cargo and astronauts to the International Space Station.
The company is seeking a manufacturing engineer capable of metallic structures fabrication, assembly, and design practices along with welding, CNC machining, bolted joints, bonded joints, or roll/bump forming.
The applicants should have passed a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Manufacturing Engineering from a welding school.
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment within the aerospace, marine, or automotive industries
- Experience in successfully taking a design from concept through prototype/test and into production manufacturing
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software (e.g. NX/Unigraphics, Catia, Solidworks)
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced iterative design environment
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware
- Develop and implement tooling into production processes
- Efficiently resolve non-conformances as they arise and aggressively track down root cause following through with corrective actions to eliminate reoccurrence
- Perform a hands-on engineering role between the design team and production organization, driving manufacturability into initial designs and creating the manufacturing tools/system to meet the rate
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including assembly instructions, process flow diagrams, standard repair plans, schematic diagrams, BOMs, and mechanical drawings
- Responsible for the fabrication/assembly manufacturing processes of the Dragon spacecraft structure supporting all manufacturing aspects from design to the launch pad of primary and secondary structure hardware
- Ability to create and deliver presentations for design and manufacturing readiness reviews
- Demonstrated experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Strong understanding of metallic and composite fabrication and assembly principles
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work
- Position may require standing, bending, and working directly with hardware on the floor for extended periods of time
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications. It will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.