Website Blue Origin
Materials and Process Engineer II – Friction Stir Welding Job Highlights
|Title||Materials and Process Engineer II (Friction Stir Welding)|
|Location||Merritt Island, FL, United States|
Blue Origin is working on the vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. The company believes we must protect Earth by moving heavy industries that stress our planet into space and finding new energy and material resources. Blue is working on this today by developing operationally reusable launch vehicles that are safe, reliable, and highly available.
The company is looking for a Materials and Process Engineer who will be responsible for materials and process engineering tasks related to the design and manufacturing of the New Glenn launch vehicle system.
The primary day-to-day focus will be developing, optimizing, and characterizing the friction stir welding (FSW) processes in aluminum structures. These tasks include material characterization, supporting design for production, material selection, and quality control.
- The applicants should have passed a Bachelor of Science Degree or Higher in Materials Engineering, Welding Engineering, Mechanical Engineering from a college/university or related field
- 2+ years of experience (or with relevant M.S.) in the field of metallurgy, with deep knowledge of the interplay between composition, process, microstructure, and properties in aerospace materials (preferably in Aluminum alloys)
- 2+ years of experience with definition and qualification of welding processes (fusion and/or solid-state)
- Contribute to weld process/qualification documentation, internal/external readiness reviews, etc.
- Define and write material test plans for design value generation, execute sourcing of testing, and evaluate test data to develop statistics-based design values
- Evaluate weld defects and recommend improvement plans or repair procedures
- Oversee metallographic and mechanical testing of welds and weld samples, and evaluation of materials characterization data or NDT results
- Support production welding of full-scale, cryogenic tanks. Lead or contribute to the development/optimization of FSW processes to meet specification requirements. Troubleshoot weld tool equipment as required.
- Travel as needed for reviews, training, and other tank production support activities
- Work closely with tank production teams to ensure that floor support is provided in a timely manner and weld qualification deliverables are met in accordance with the overall launch schedule
- Work hand in hand with quality assurance/engineering for rapid disposition and documentation of non-conformances for tank structure defects
- Work with cross-functional teams that are responsible for selecting materials, manufacturing processes, and suppliers to produce world-class aerospace hardware
- Ability to develop engineering requirements and work instruction documents
- Familiarity in friction stir welding of aluminum and/or aluminum-lithium alloys for aerospace applications is a huge plus.
- Past experience in the aerospace industry, including materials & processes
- Proven experience with sourcing, analyzing, manufacturing, and testing aerospace-grade materials such as aluminum and/or stainless steels
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Experience developing and executing plans for material characterization, such as mechanical testing, environmental testing, and material compatibility analysis
- The company offers benefits that include medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability, and 401(k) with up to a 4% company match.
- Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 11 holidays
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The company provides all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law.
To apply for this job please visit blueorigin.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.