Materials Engineer (Wrought Metallurgist) Job Highlights
|Title||Materials Engineer – Wrought Metallurgist|
|Location||Austin, TX, United States|
Tesla works on the mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy through increasingly affordable electric vehicles in addition to renewable energy generation and storage.
The purpose of the Tesla Materials Engineering organization is to facilitate the Tesla mission of accelerating the world to sustainable transportation via identification, development, and insertion of advanced materials and processes while supporting other Tesla Engineering and Manufacturing functions with materials expertise.
The company is searching for a Materials Engineer to join its team for Raw Materials and Design activities.
- The applicants should have a Materials Engineering Degree from a college/university.
- Metallurgical Engineering focus and advanced degrees are preferred.
- Experience conducting and understanding standard mechanical property testing.
- Experience with materials laboratory failure analysis
- Experience with robust manufacturing quality systems and qualification processes (PFMEA, lean manufacturing).
- Author Material and Process standards as-needed.
- Develop new metals and processing for any future European-specific vehicle design work.
- Evaluation of material equivalency of localized metal and ceramic components including the raw materials and metallurgical joining processes (welding, brazing, etc.) to ensure that the materials meet the design intents.
- Materials design engineering support to drive issue resolution and cost savings.
- Materials Laboratory testing as-needed.
- Qualification of locally produced sheet aluminum and steel for use at any Tesla site globally, but with a primary focus on raw materials used in local stamping operations.
- Subject matter expert for all wrought metallic materials at the Factory.
- Able to provide specific examples of evaluations of raw materials that demonstrate not only an ability to follow standards but also a deeper understanding of the functional requirements of the property evaluation using a first principle approach.
- Familiarity with metallurgical joining processes (brazing, welding, friction stir).
- General knowledge of glasses and other functional ceramics preferred.
- General knowledge of plating processes and other surface modification techniques.
- Knowledge of process-structure-property relationships in steel sheet (Low Carbon, Low Alloy, Multi-Phase, Martensitic), aluminum sheet, forgings, extrusions (5xx and 6xxx), and their relevant manufacturing processes.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.tesla.com.