Mechanical Engineer, Supply Chain Engineering Job Highlights
|Title||Mechanical Engineer – Supply Chain Engineering|
|Location||Hawthorne, CA, United States|
SpaceX manufactures, designs, and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft. It aims to revolutionize space transportation, with the ultimate goal of making life multi-planetary. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The company is looking for a Mechanical Engineer who possesses comprehensive knowledge of manufacturing and quality tools and has unrelenting motivation to enable suppliers for success.
This position will support our Starship program and requires a combination of proven leadership and technical capabilities.
The ideal candidate will have a broad understanding of the machining and assembly of metallic components and associated processes with the desire and capability to take on new challenges in unfamiliar areas to help enable our mission to Mars.
- The applicants should have passed a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from a welding school, college, or university.
- The candidates should have 1+ years of experience with manufacturing or inspection of mechanical products in a production environment.
- Act as the technical point of contact for assigned parts, solving emergent challenges at suppliers and mitigating risk to the manifest by addressing high-impact manufacturing and quality challenges
- Become thoroughly familiar with your assigned parts and the processes that make up the overall assembly and become the primary point of contact for supply chain-related defects on your parts
- Conduct design for manufacturing (DFM) reviews to ensure parts are manufacturable at early stages, preferably prior to sourcing
- Create and disposition issue tickets where needed, working with engineering counterparts to implement, but not limited to, required re-work, repair, or use as-is disposition
- Demonstrate innovation, technical excellence, attention to detail, self-direction, and courage
- Drive for results and customer satisfaction by collaborating with teams, leading projects, and continuously driving improvement in the supply base
- Drive the PPAP program to ensure stable supply, reduce inspection oversight and improve overall delivery time
- Lead containment activities on assigned parts, working with cross-functional counterparts to agree on scope, the path forward, and ultimate resolution
- Own the NPI process at a supplier for new parts, drawing changes, or when re-sourcing existing parts to a new supplier
- Review issues on assigned parts and solve to the root cause, implementing changes at the supplier, at SpaceX, or both, as appropriate, drive further actions to closure, and re-source to new suppliers where appropriate
- Work with procurement to find exceptional suppliers and vet them appropriately for quality and ability to meet our aggressive Takt times
- Master’s degree in engineering or business
- Experience with interpreting engineering drawings and models; familiarity with GD&T
- Broad familiarity with TIG, MIG, and orbital tube welding of stainless and carbon steel is a plus
- Experience with machining and ancillary operations such as milling, turning, and tube cutting of materials
- Broad familiarity in sheet metal forming, particularly in stretch forming (longitudinal and transverse), stamping (progressing and transfer), spin forming, roll forming, roll bending, press brake forming, hydroforming, and tube forming/bending of primarily, but not limited to, stainless and carbon steels is a plus
- Broad familiarity of valves, motors, mechanisms, interconnects, solenoids, potentiometers, life support, and thermal control systems is a plus
- Disciplined approach to problem-solving – 8D
- Experience with quality systems (ISO 9000/TS/AS9100/NADCAP) and MRP/ERP systems
- Experience with sharing information and influencing others across organizational lines, internally and externally
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and methods, e.g., design of experiments, Lean, Six Sigma, etc.
- Knowledge of supplier quality processes (production part approval process, advanced product quality planning, first article inspection reports, etc.)
- Proficient in MS Office and Excel applications and report writing
- Ability to travel 60-85% of the time
- Position may require long hours and some nights and weekends
- Valid driver’s license mandatory
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.