Mechanical Specialist B Job Highlights
|Title||Mechanical Specialist B|
|Location||Colton, CA, United States|
GATX Corporation provides innovative, unparalleled service that enables customers to transport what matters safely and sustainably while championing the well-being of our employees and communities.
The company is searching for a Mechanical Specialist B who will arc weld ferrous and non-ferrous materials by the use of an electric arc process in all positions per AWS D 15.1.
Performs repairs, changes, improvements and conversions to car parts and assembles such underframe, trucks, insulation jackets, etc. dismantles, repairs, installs or renews coils, valves, and miscellaneous tank car fittings.
Performs testing operations on rolling stock as required.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED
- The candidates are expected to have some work-related experience.
- Comply with the established safety policies, support-continuing awareness for safety, and when possible recommend specific changes and improvements to health and safety policies and programs.
- Finishing weld by removing slag and grinding when necessary.
- Installs, tests, and repairs renew interior or exterior coils, cradles, and brackets. Hydrostatic test of tank, inspects for leakage, repair, and retests as required.
- Jacks car, remove, replace, disassemble, assemble trucks to repair or gain access to parts needing repair.
- Keeps work area in a clean and orderly manner.
- Locates and tests areas to be welded for leaks by using soapsuds and air, rechecking as necessary.
- Perform minor preventative maintenance on tools and equipment used.
- Prepares equipment and surfaces, welds, burns, fits, and tacks as necessary to complete repairs.
- Remove, replace, straighten, renew or replace various car parts such as couplers, gears, center sills, safety appliances, insulation, jackets, running boards, and slabs as required to achieve proper repairs.
- Replace, and repair defective piping as required.
- Sets up and operates bending, threading, and cutting equipment to shape and fabricate pipe for installation. Apply levers, rods, and similar equipment that is installed in conjunction with car piping.
- Ability to add, subtracts, multiply or divide two-digit numbers.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as IO instructions, FM instructions, work orders, and AAR Field Manual.
- Ability to reason through and plan work details and procedures to obtain desired results.
- Ability to safely lift up to 51 lbs. regularly and safely lift up to 85 lb.s occasionally from the ground surface.
- Must be able to climb ladders and perform work at elevated heights.
- Must be able to perform overhead work for extended periods.
- Must be able to physically enter confined spaces and work in enclosed environments.
- Must be able to push/pull horizontally up to 140 lbs. of force.
- Must be able to stoop for extended periods and routinely move from kneeling to standing positions.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperature environments.
- Financial Security
- Health and Wellness
- Work/Life Balance
GATX Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit www.gatx.com.