Website Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Metal Fabricator/Laser Cutting and Welding Job Highlights
|Title||Metal Fabricator – Laser Cutting and Welding|
|Location||Livermore, CA, United States|
|Company||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory|
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration within the Department of Energy. The laboratory’s mission is to strengthen national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance.
The applied science laboratory is looking for a Metal Fabricator who will support the Laser Processing Work Center.
The candidate will be responsible for performing all operations related to Laser Processing technology, set-up, maintenance assignments, light machining, including modeling, machine programming, and estimating and planning jobs.
- The applicants may be required a High School Diploma or GED
- The candidates should have an intermediate journey level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the welding and/or machinist/fabricator trade.
Additional Qualifications (971.3 Level)
- Advanced Journeyman level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in fabrication technology.
- Experience utilizing effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
- Proficient in MasterCam
- Experience in working with thin metals in the range of .0015” to .0625”
- Experience/knowledge of a pulse and quasi-continuous wavelength laser welding system.
- Compliance with established ES&H regulations and procedures, assuring that all work assignments are performed with due consideration to safety, security, and environmental impacts.
- Consistently apply sound quality control methods in a professional and efficient way.
- Fabricate fixtures and holding devices used during laser cutting/welding processes.
- Label and safely perform waste collection and housekeeping of the work center.
- Maintain close interaction with MED supervision regarding workflow, customer relations, job progress, and facility or equipment issues.
- Make limited decisions and solve moderate to complex technical problems with minimal supervisor input.
- Perform shop calculations utilizing knowledge of material characteristics to determine optimum feeds, speeds, and dimensions.
- Set up and operate Laser Processing Machines and related processing equipment to cut and weld parts and assemblies under general supervision.
- Train others in specific Laser Processing operations and set-ups.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Responsibilities (971.3 Level)
- Make regular decisions and solve moderate to complex technical problems with minimal supervisor input
- Set up and operate Laser Processing Machines and related processing equipment to cut and weld parts and assemblies under minimal supervision.
- Train and lead others in specific Laser Processing operations and set-ups.
- Ability to perform basic to moderate fabrication operations involving conventional and CNC machine tools, and/or related manufacturing and measuring equipment.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of a wide variety of materials and manufacturing processes.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of ASME Y14.5M drafting standards (read and interpret blueprints) to produce parts and assemblies.
- Basic to intermediate level knowledge of CO2 and YAG Lasers.
- Basic to intermediate level of knowledge of CO2 Laser and YAG lasers.
- Intermediate level of knowledge G and M code programming for CNC controllers.
- Intermediate level of knowledge MasterCam or equivalent CAD/CAM systems.
- Strong customer and personnel interaction/communication skills.
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (depending on project needs)
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.llnl.gov.