Planner/Technical Writer I, II Job Highlights
|Title||Planner/Technical Writer I, II|
|Location||Chesapeake, VA, United States|
Oceaneering is a trusted subsea connection specialist and pushes the frontiers of deep water, space, and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve the challenges. The company sorts out solutions for the most complex subsea challenges and develops products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning.
Marine Services Division provides full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts, and deep submergence systems.
The company is searching for a Planner/Technical Writer who will develop Task Group Instructions (TGIs) within the Production Engineering department to support various submarine maintenance availabilities.
Requires experience with the preparation and review of technical material for publication in both paper and electronic formats. Documentation to develop includes (but is not limited to) TGIs, various required support enclosures, Objective Quality Evidence (OQE), and Reference Documents with Technical Variance Data (TVD).
The daily use of technical manuals, equipment manuals, operating and maintenance instructions/manuals, database entry, parts lists, assembly instructions, reports, appendices. Use of the ATIS (Advanced Technical Information Support) software on a daily basis in the research for the TGI development.
The position will directly report to the Planning Supervisor.
- The applicants should have completed a B.Sc. in an engineering discipline; or AS in an engineering discipline with additional vocational courses in pipefitting, plumbing or hydraulic systems practice, and theory or
- High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma; or ten years military and/or civilian experience with Naval Submarine systems repair, modification, or installation in a repair department or shipyard.
- The candidates should have 5 years of experience in writing maintenance, operations, and troubleshooting and testing procedures (Task Group Instructions (TGI’s), Formal Work Procedures (FWP’s), Controlled Work Procedures (CWP’s).
- Display knowledge of UIPIs, Navy Standard Items, MILSPEC, Level 1, and SUBSAFE requirements.
- Experienced with technical documentation development and editing of large-scale systems for both commercial and military customers, with experience in technical writing and editing in engineering topics; Engineering background desired.
- In-depth working knowledge of the following: Submarine HM&E systems (repair/installation practices, procedures, alignments, troubleshooting, welding, brazing, etc.), Combat System (VLS and torpedo stowage, handling, launching components/associated systems and the 3” Launcher system, Sail, Mast and antennas systems.
- In-depth working knowledge with AIM work breakdown is a plus.
- Complete the planner qualification card Sections I, II, III to write Non-SUBSAFE and NON-SOC work (TGIs).
- Conduct all necessary research, including reading source material, using the ATIS application software, working with other subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Print all available drawings/references in ATIS that are applicable to the task for inclusion in the work package for on-site use. In addition, obtain applicable ASW/CS Test Procedures and specifications/standards for inclusion in the package.
- Progress towards completion of the planner qualification card for Planner II.
- Proper use and familiarity with the UIPIs, Navy Standard Items, OII-MSD Submarine, and Deep Submergence Systems Quality Assurance Manual, OII-MSD Process Instructions as defined by OII-MSD PI Training Matrix with emphasis on PI-012, 021, 024, 025, 026, 059, and 064.
- Read, understand and interpret blueprints, drawings, schematics, and specifications to determine the requirements for the tasks assigned.
- Research and develop technical work documents (TGIs) (Non-SUBSAFE) for the restoration/repair of various shipboard components through the review of applicable drawings and references.
- Research and develop technical work documents (TGIs) (Non-SUBSAFE) with a minimum of structural or pipe welding through the review of applicable drawings and references.
- Review and maintain the master database of TGIs on electronic media for task assignment and TGI status updates for configuration management in accordance with published procedures.
- Strong research abilities using WWW search engines, databases, ATIS, and other available resources.
- Understand all of the phases in the process of developing/issuing a TGI from the assignment, development, review, issue, and maintenance of the final TGI.
- Communication and multi-tasking skills are essential.
- Familiarity with Government publication standards for specifications and manuals.
- Familiarity with HM&E systems Combat System (VLS and torpedo stowage, handling, launching components and associated systems and the 3” Launcher system, Sail, Mast and antennas systems.
- Familiarity with NAVSEA 0924-062-0010, Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) Requirements Manual; OII-MSD PI-012, Task Group Instruction Development, and Control.
- Knowledge of SS800-AG-MAN-010/P-9290, System Certification Procedures and Criteria Manual for Deep Submergence Systems, is a plus.
- Must possess good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with all levels of the Company and subcontractor organization.
- Well-developed application software skills in Windows environment, with an emphasis in Microsoft Office applications.
- Candidates will have to perform in an ISO-9000 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere.
- Must be a US citizen who is not a dual citizen of any other country.
- Must have, or be able to obtain a Secret Security Clearance issued by the US government.
Oceaneering is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
To apply for this job please visit careers.oceaneering.com.