Plant Operator Job Highlights
|Location||Midland, MI, United States|
Airgas, an Air Liquide company, is a leading supplier of industrial, medical, and specialty gases, hard goods/related products, safety products, ammonia products, and process chemicals.
The company is recruiting a Plant Operator who will perform any combination of the following tasks on-site in making or repackaging compressed and liquefied gas: Sorts empty cylinders being received by filling plant for refilling and performs necessary prefill inspection steps to qualify cylinders for a refill.
Examine returned cylinders for surface defects, such as dents, cracks, and burns, and rolls cylinders to the designated work area.
Responsible for safely handling and filling gas products into liquid, medical and high-pressure gas cylinders in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations, and meeting the standard operating procedures of Airgas.
Loads cylinders on vehicles, using a hand truck, chain hoist, or forklift, and records type and quantity of cylinders.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or equivalent (preferred)
- Possess a minimum of 1 year of prior experience in a manufacturing operation, filling or loading experience (preferred)
- Checks for cylinder quantities, styles, and products; or assists with inventory
- Complies with all government and company standards relating to the safe handling of hazardous materials/cylinder gases.
- Handles high-pressure, medical, and liquid cylinders. Prepares high-pressure cylinders and cryogenic vessels for filling. Attaches to manifold, and evacuates cylinders to eliminate all possible contaminants.
- Inspects cylinders prior to filling, following standard procedures as required by the government, Airgas, and distributor standards. Conducts a variety of Safety checks per procedures, such as odor tests, checking caps, and valves. Fills cylinders by pressure and weight, per regulations and standards.
- Loads and unloads gas cylinders or other products onto and off of route trucks and trailers moving cylinders with proper carts only.
- Maintains a neat, clean and orderly plant appearance.
- Manages paperwork to DOT, FDA, OSHA, and Airgas standards. Completes quality control sheets as required.
- Performs basic cylinder maintenance such as painting cylinders, labeling cylinders, and cleaning the work area.
- Rolls cylinders and operates a forklift truck for the movement of cylinders on pallets.
- Sorts empty cylinders by type.
- Understands hazards of various gases; sizes and contents of cylinders by reading and interpreting cylinder labels and the color-coding of tanks. Accurately labels cylinders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to add, subtracts, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentages.
- Ability to read and comprehend material safety data sheets.
- Ability to safely operate a forklift.
- Ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must be able to work with a wide variety of people with different personalities and backgrounds.
- Strong background in gas, welding, and safety supply industry or chemical industry preferred.
- Strong level of attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Airgas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or disability.
To apply for this job please visit airgas.taleo.net.