Website Gilmour Space Technologies
Principal Welding Engineer Job Highlights
|Title||Principal Welding Engineer|
|Location||Helensvale, Queensland, Australia|
|Company||Gilmour Space Technologies|
Gilmour Space is the leading Australian rocket company, pioneering next-generation hybrid propulsion technologies for small satellite launch vehicles.
The company is looking for a Principal Welding Engineer who will support the fast-paced manufacturing and test of Launch Vehicle and satellite hardware through the design, development, and optimisation of all aspects.
The position will document and communicate across teams to ensure duties are performed in an efficient and timely manner whilst adhering to Gilmour Space policies and procedures.
- The applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Structural Engineering focused on welding.
- The candidates should have 10+ years of experience working with welding processes in a professional setting (excluding internships)
- Experience with all welding processes (FCAW, GMAW, GTAW, SAW, LW) across a wide range of materials
- Extensive experience designing and delivering welds to a very high quality and performance
- Contribute to design reviews acting as an expert in weld design for manufacturability, testability, yield improvements, supplier capabilities assessments, quality control, etc.
- Develop and maintain welding documentation including weld registers, weld maps, WPS, PQR and WQT
- Lead continuous improvement efforts of established products to reduce issues, decrease manufacturing time, and lower costs
- Lead the mature supply chain development for welding components and materials
- Perform hands-on engineering and liaison role between the design teams and manufacturing organisation as Gilmour Space works to iterate on designs and ramp into the manufacturing phase
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures
- Perform training of manufacturing personnel and leadership
- Prepare engineering documentation necessary for the transition from development to production including manufacturing processes, standards, assembly procedures, test procedures, standard operating procedures, bills of materials, suitable alternate parts lists, and mechanical drawings
- The primary point of contact for welding non-conformances, troubleshooting, root cause, failure investigations, and corrective actions
- Responsible for the design, development, and manufacturability of welding manufacturing processes including quality control processes
- Update designs when necessary in response to manufacturing issues, parts/material obsolescence, and system requirement changes
- Welding manufacturing equipment, machinery, and material selection
- Welding manufacturing tooling design and validation
- Other duties as requested by Management
- Excellent knowledge of domestic and international welding standards
- 15+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Ability to work well in an integrated team including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, and managers
- Capable of obtaining and maintaining an Australian Government NV Level 1 Security Clearance
- Demonstrated professional leadership experience on projects or structured activities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience with advanced welding processes (EBW, FSW, HLAW, RW)
- Experience with CAD designing parts and assemblies (Solid works, OnShape, Inventor, CATIA, etc.)
- Master’s Degree in Science, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Aerospace or Structural Engineering focused on welding
- Self-motivated with strong multi-tasking, organisational, communication, and documentation skills
Gilmour Space Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all team members.
To apply for this job please visit external-jobboard.myrecruitmentplus.com.