Website BAE Systems
Sheet Metal Mechanic Job Highlights
|Sheet Metal Mechanic
|Norfolk, VA, United States
BAE Systems is an international defense, aerospace, and security company. It delivers a full range of products and services for air, land, and naval forces. It also provides advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions, and customer support services.
Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes, and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor.
The company is seeking a Sheet Metal Mechanic who will be responsible for creating and installing building parts made of sheet metal.
- The prospective applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED or Equivalent
- The candidates should have a minimum of 3 to 5 of relevant experience.
Practical Theory Requirements-
The position must demonstrate a developing understanding of different types of sheet metal and knowledge of NAVSEA drawings and standards.
- Complete Habitability work while partnered with higher class mechanics
- Familiar with various sheet metal types and sizes
- Know various materials to include galvanized steel, aluminum, stainless steel, etc.
- Measure the appropriate size of sheet metal
- Operate and use trade power tools
- Read and understand basic drawings, sketches, and written requirements
- Remove and contain the PCB chemical in gasket material
- Assist advanced mechanics with a fabrication process
- Read sketches
- Fabricate most sheet metal items, vent, flashing, pans, boxes, etc.
- Learn how to fabricate miscellaneous items (such as bulkhead panels, boxes)
Equipment Operation (begin training)-
Hand brakes and power brakes-
Sheers (sump and power sheers)-
- Basic tack welding skills
- Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral, or diagram form
- Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
- Must be able to function and operate hand tools and power tools with no assistance
- Must be able to obtain a government access badge.
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
- Must be able to wear applicable PPE (hard hat, safety goggles, gloves, steel toes shoes, ear protection, face shields, Tyvek suits, and respirators)
- Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure
- ITAR: U.S Citizen or Green Card Required
BAE Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females, Minorities, Veterans, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.baesystems.com.