Website BAE Systems
Shipfitter Job Highlights
|Type||Full Time (1st shift)|
|Location||Norfolk, VA, United States|
BAE Systems is an international defense, aerospace, and security company. It delivers a full range of products and services for air, land, and naval forces. It also provides advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions, and customer support services.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems does the big stuff i.e. the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair, just to name a few.
The company is seeking a Shipfitter who will contribute to all structural phases of a ship’s hull construction which may include fitting, fabricating, assembly, and alignment of a ship’s structure.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED or Equivalent
- The candidates should have a minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- A minimum of 5 to 8 years of relevant experience is preferred.
- Read, understand, and interpret basic blueprints to perform tasks required
- Begin to learn how to grind by training
- Preferred SMAW and FCAW or FCA certifications
- Preferred tack welding certification
- Review sketches or drawings and be able to perform layouts.
- Tack Welding via the welding school
- Complete basic cutting plate jobs
- Possess basic knowledge of burning
- Possess basic of using hook up torch/light torch
- Align and fit plates
- Ensure strong backing for the plate
- Ensure the edges and surfaces were prepared properly
- Know the following types of plating material: steel, copper-nickel, aluminum, stainless steel
- Use wedge and dog to secure the alignment
Lay Out Access Cuts and Inserts-
- Assess finished access cutting and beveling to ensure that the layout is being executed properly
- Create temporary access cuts to take something out of a ship or facilitate another trade to get into another compartment or a tank
- Perform layout (inserts/TAOs and rip-outs)
- Read and interpret basic sketches to complete a layout
- Inspect a tank and document its current status
Assist with Testing (Tank, Rutter, Bilge Keel, Air Test Keg, Air Test High Hats)-
- Basic knowledge of tank testing
- Blank the tank and install the blanks in accordance with the ISO procedure
- Know the ISO procedures and policy on testing based on the ship type
- Know where to test
- Set up a test rig
- Accurately pinpoint the installation location by reading sketches and drawings
- Install a prefabricated foundation
- Know framing square and leveling tools
- A level foundation based on requirements
- Set the foundation either perpendicular or parallel to the baseline
Portable Plasma Arc-
- Basic rip out and installation
- Know the plasma arc machine and its uses through on the job training/reading manuals
- Understand the basics of cutting ferrous and nonferrous metals
- Possess basic fabrication skills
- Carbon Steel Certification
- Certification in flux-cored arc welding (FCAW or FCA) (a semi-automatic or automatic arc welding process)
- Certification in shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), also known as manual metal arc welding (MMA or MMAW), flux shielded arc welding, or informally as stick welding (manual arc welding process that uses a consumable electrode covered with a flux to lay the weld)
- Passing grade on breaking test
- Ultrasonic Impact Testing Treatment (UIT Treatment) – Certification
- Weld Certification
- Ability to demonstrate a developing understanding of naval vessel compartments, number systems, and related vessel terminology for the CG, DDG, and LHD ships.
- Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral, or diagram form
- Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
- Must be able to wear standard PPE and use basic ship fitting tool list
- Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure
- ITAR: U.S Citizen or Green Card Required
BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.baesystems.com.