Website Blue Origin
Sr. Manufacturing Engineer – Laser Welding Job Highlights
|Title||Sr. Manufacturing Engineer – Laser Welding|
|Location||Huntsville, AL, United States|
Blue Origin is working on the vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. The company believes we must protect Earth by moving heavy industries that stress our planet into space and finding new energy and material resources. Blue is working on this today by developing operationally reusable launch vehicles that are safe, reliable, and highly available.
The company is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer who will be responsible for supporting welding fabrication processes for our BE-4 and BE-3U rocket engines.
Applicants will translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into consistent manufacturing processes which focus on quality and repeatability.
The position will work closely with production operators, quality technicians, and engineering counterparts to support welding processes for tight tolerance and complex rocket engine components (i.e. thrust chambers, injectors, turbopumps, etc.).
Note: A firm understanding of weld processes, materials, lasers, and robots is required.
- The applicants should have a Bachelor of Science in Metallurgical, Materials, Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Aerospace Engineering (other relevant fields may apply) from an accredited college/university.
- The candidates should have 5 to 10 years of weld engineering and manufacturing experience
- Experience with laser and robotic welding
- Laser welding experience with high power CW laser systems
- Collaborate closely with internal customers (M&P engineers, test technicians, manufacturing engineers, management, and design/analysis engineers) to define requirements and align tools to meet company objectives.
- Contribute to fabrication DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design and build.
- Create/modify manufacturing work instructions to disposition non-conformances.
- Define, develop, implement, optimize and own welding processes of rocket engine components.
- Design, procure, install, and qualify custom manufacturing equipment/fixtures.
- Identify, develop, and deploy new welding methods (or refine existing) to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize build schedules.
- Perform root cause analyses when non-conformances and escapes are identified and deploy corrective actions.
- Provide data to drive decisions from DFMA and PFMEA studies as well as historical actuals.
- Some travel is required between sites to ensure cross-site build processes and quality (~10%)
- Translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into consistent welding processes which can be deployed across multiple manufacturing sites.
- Troubleshoot and operate the equipment as required.
- Utilize lean manufacturing methodology for process development and problem-solving.
- CMM multi-axis data interpretation with GD&T
- Experience in welding of exotic materials (i.e. super alloys)
- Experience with designing fixtures and tooling
- Experience with industrial controls
- G-Code Programming Skills
- Manual GTAW experience
- Master’s degree or higher in related field(s)
- Optics Experience
- Programming and troubleshooting of multi-axis robots (Kuka, ABB)
- Six Sigma and lean manufacturing training
- Work with additive manufactured parts and/or additive processes
- 4+ years of experience in writing process work instructions
- Ability to develop processes compliant to industry quality systems such as AS9100
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be fluent in reading, and writing English instructions
- Strong understanding of materials and welding parameters
- Strong written, personal, technical, and software skills (CAD, Scheduling, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Understand and write weld schedules for GTAW, cladding, and laser welding
- Understanding of engineering fundamentals for mechanical design and manufacturing including strong knowledge of GD&T.
- ITAR – Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The company provides all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law.
To apply for this job please visit blueorigin.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.