Structural Welder, Vandenberg Job Highlights
|Structural Welder – Vandenberg
|Vandenberg, CA, United States
SpaceX manufactures, designs, and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft. It aims to revolutionize space transportation, with the ultimate goal of making life multi-planetary. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The company is seeking a Structural Welder who will join a team of dedicated individuals building and improving the many mechanical systems at our rocket launch facilities on Vandenberg Space Force Base.
As a welder, you will have a direct impact on the hardware used to refurbish the Falcon 9 rocket and ground support equipment to ensure safe and successful launches.
You will also be involved in launch operations during launch campaigns.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate completed from a college, tech center, or welding school.
- The candidates should have at least 1 year of professional experience with TIG, MIG, and arc welding.
- Forklift certification
- ASME certification
- Certification in SMAW, GMAW, or GTAW
- Experience working in cleanrooms
- General mechanical skills in concrete, machining, and alignment/setting
- Knowledge in ferrous and non-ferrous metals in relating to welding and brazing
- Knowledge in standard tools, materials, motions, and practices of the welding trade
- Knowledge of welding techniques, metallurgy, and engineering requirements
- Ability to use precision measuring instruments.
- Experience with structural welding, machining, and metal fabrication.
- Knowledge of arc air procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and effective safety precautions of the trade.
- Analyze engineering drawings and specifications to plan welding operations.
- Apply zinc coat spray on welds when working with existing structures.
- Collaborate with the welding lead coordinator to ensure that the proper weld procedure, type of material, and rod size are accurately assessed for each welding project.
- Complete welding assignments for construction and repair of all site structural stands on time, safely, and in a professional manner.
- Cut, trim, or scarf metal objects; fit and fabricate metal components to dimensions for building and assembling test site structural forms.
- Ensure all welds are complete by buffing off and inspecting the weld for proper tie-ins and pinholes as well as cleaning off all buckshot and slag.
- Maintain a 6010 bead and 7018 uphill fill and caps.
- Make a continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively.
- Obtain and maintain licenses, operator permits, or certifications as required.
- Perform maintenance tasks as required for pad maintenance, site preventative maintenance, general facilities, and any other general maintenance work as required to maintain an operational launch site (includes corrosion control).
- Utilize hand welding and flame-cutting equipment to weld metal components and parts to assemble structural forms.
- Ability to obtain respirator certification to apply ablative, paint, puck, and martyte.
- Ability to pass Air Force background check for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg.
- Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting, lifting up to 25 lbs. and working on ladders/lifts at elevated heights.
- Must be willing to travel to other SpaceX locations as necessary.
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain.
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise.
- Work schedule varies depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.