Website Howmet Aerospace
TIG Welder Job Highlights
|Location||La Porte, IN, United States|
Howmet Aerospace provides advanced engineered solutions for the aerospace and transportation industries. The Company’s primary businesses focus on jet engine components, aerospace fastening systems, titanium structural parts necessary for mission-critical performance and efficiency in aerospace and defense applications, and forged wheels for commercial transportation.
The company is looking for a TIG Welder who will work as a team member to production-weld or weld repair castings, dies, molds, fixtures, and miscellaneous equipment per weld procedures and customer specifications.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED
- The candidates require a minimum of 2 years of experience.
- Welding Vocational Training preferred
- Must successfully meet Grade 3 for Prep Route Out/Weld Blend
- Previous experience in routing out casting defects and blending welds preferred.
- Apply weld identification
- Basic knowledge of computers
- Must be able to function as a member of a team and be able to work under general supervision.
- Must be able to maintain expected quality levels
- Must be able to read and interpret Product Criteria (PC) and Activity Instructions (AI).
- Must be able to work and function in a fast-paced environment.
- Operate GTAW welding equipment, hand tools (air gun, stones, burrs) argon chills, stainless steel brushes, degreaser, clamps, and fixtures
- Pushing, pulling, lifting
- Vision standards
- Determine allowable weld sizes and locations.
- Determine correct power source parameters.
- Determine gas settings for welding torch and backups
- Determine weld wire alloy designation and sizes.
- Fabrication of copper backups used to perform welds.
- Occasional maintenance and fixture welding on various alloys including aluminum.
- Operate all aspects of the production AC/DC power source and all components of the welding torch that are used to perform the job.
- Weld Blend/Prep Route Out Requirements
- Weld repair/production weld (fabrication weld) castings to “Class A” requirements (FPI and X-Ray acceptance).
- Blend welds for repair/production weld castings
- All weld blenders will be required to prep weld as needed.
- All weld blenders will be required to perform finishing, rework, and metal cleaning as needed associated with a metal cell operator (MCO).
- Complete and maintain paperwork
- Employees are expected to work overtime as needed.
- Experience in routing out casting defects and blending welds preferred.
- Formalized training in Manual Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) is required.
- Mechanical ability required.
- Monitor argon purity and repair/build argon backups
- Must be able to successfully complete Welder Trainee Testing Criteria.
- Must be able to successfully complete welders’ certification tests in nickel, cobalt, and iron-based alloy groups within (5) months of training. Tests based on successful results in FPI, X-ray, and metallography.
- Must pass visual acuity examination required for certified welder position.
- Operate hoist system
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned
- Preparation of surface area for weld or blending as needed
- Production/fabrication weld
- Proficiency in the use of gauges and measuring skills required. Weld wire test slugs for wire certification
- Support of cells as needed
- Weld fixtures for layout
- Weld for maintenance
- Weld heat thermocouples for heat treat
- Weld repairs/fixtures for tool room
- Mechanical ability required.
- Must be able to successfully complete weld blend training program within (3) months unless otherwise instructed by Area Leader. Tests based on successful results in Blend limits and Visual criteria according to the Work Instructions.
- Proficient in manual Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) with remote foot control
Have to Execute the Following
- Clean work areas and maintain a clean work environment; perform 5S cleaning activities as required.
- Lifting intermittently of various items. Typically, assistance would be provided for weights exceeding 35 pounds
- Occasional bending, reaching, pushing, pulling when retrieving and moving various items
- Position may require more than eight hours daily and more than five days weekly to complete work assignments
- Sitting in chairs (swivel, padded, and adjustable) approximately 75% of the time
- Squatting/crouching when retrieving stored items from lower shelves and file cabinets, making equipment/product inspections, etc
- Standing approximately 25% of the time
- Visual monitoring of computer screens
- Visual requirements for this position are close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
- Visual viewing of processing equipment, precision measuring instruments, prints, reports, manuals, procedures, and an assortment of printed items
- Weld helmet and gloves required
- GTAW Equipment (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding)
- Attend all EHS training.
- Comply with all department, facility, corporate, and regulatory EHS regulations
- Expected to assist in the implementation of EHS Values and policy statements and accompanying principles.
- Report all job-related illnesses and injuries (Per Employee Handbook).
- Report all safety, health, and environmental concerns to your supervisor in a timely manner.
- Wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts, exposed to fumes or airborne particles, welder’s arc, the potential of low voltage shock, and moderate heat during the summer months.
- The noise level is moderate.
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire.
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which required a U.S. person status. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card Holder), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Howmet Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit emhl.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com.