Toolmaker Job Highlights
|Location||Brownsville, TX, United States|
SpaceX manufactures, designs, and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft. It aims to revolutionize space transportation, with the ultimate goal of making life multi-planetary. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The company is looking for a Toolmaker who will work as part of a team of elite individuals building and improving the mechanical systems at our rocket launch facilities.
- The applicants should have passed an Associate Degree in Metrology or Machining from a college/welding school.
- Completion of an accredited apprenticeship program
- The candidates should have professional experience with metrology (e.g. performing inspections, using CMMs, portable arms, optics, or laser trackers) or machining (e.g. completing simple components from blueprints, creating blueprints, operating knee mills and gear lathes, using inspection tools)
- Experience with weld fabrication and able to pass a welding skills test for cutting, fitting, stick, TIG, and MIG on semi-exotic materials
- Experience with Millwright operations
- Apply in-depth knowledge of rigging large, heavy, and imbalanced components using overhead cranes, gantries, mobile cranes, and other lifting devices
- Apply creative solutions through the use of our growing fleet of field machining equipment
- Creatively fabricate support equipment ranging from shelves to temporary machine structures to maintenance weld repair/buildup
- Ensure operations can be performed safely while meeting SpaceX quality standards
- Interpret blueprints at all assembly levels and apply welding blueprint knowledge to the fabrication process
- Maintain all components in optimal condition during the assembly and disassembly process
- Maintain an orderly environment that retains maximum utility for all team members
- Perform spur of the moment design and machining to solve unpredictable field problems
- Translate metrology data from inspection reports to final machined surfaces
- Ability to adapt to an extremely dynamic work environment while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to apply GD&T with discretion relative to the assembly’s function
- Ability to find solutions to problems through diverse thinking while utilizing a varied experience
- Ability to maintain the highest level of safety on the job site and bring new ideas of how to continue to work safely and effectively in new locations and changing environments
- Ability to manually inspect components using conventional inspection tools such as micrometers, calipers, indicators, and height gauges
- Ability to pass a machining skill test
- Ability to use and learn a variety of software to observe, analyze, evaluate, and communicate pertinent information
- Ability to visualize 3D space and integrate complex geometries onto both large and small fabrications
- Demonstrated leadership and dependability
- Understanding of the manufacturing process of large structures from concept to completion
- Ability to lift 20-30 lbs., standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying may be required to perform the functions of this position
- Available to work all required shift hours and be available to work overtime and weekends, as needed
- Must pass Air Force background checks for Cape Canaveral and Vandenberg
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company provides employment based on merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.