Website BAE Systems
Weld Engineering Manager Job Highlights
|Title||Weld Engineering Manager|
|Type||Full Time (1st shift)|
|Location||Louisville, KY, United States|
BAE Systems is an international defense, aerospace, and security company. It delivers a full range of products and services for air, land, and naval forces. It also provides advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions, and customer support services.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems does the big stuff i.e. the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair, just to name a few.
The company is looking for a Weld Engineering Manager who will lead a team of weld engineers, weld techs, and a weld training manager at our site, where we support naval weapon production.
Note: This position will report directly to the Senior Manufacturing Engineering Manager.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED
- Equivalent combination of education (program) and experience
- The candidates should have a minimum of 12 years of relevant experience
- Management experience
- Develops concepts, designs, performance, fabrication, tests, and modifications for these products.
- Develops or contributes to the creation of welding standards and specifications.
- Develops special weld repairs as necessary.
- Develops work documentation including routings and work instructions to guide the welding workforce on how to perform welding tasks.
- Identifies weld equipment needs and pursues capital expenditure for implementation.
- Implements overall weld program including management and control of standard policies and procedures.
- Leads the Weld Manufacturing Engineering group which supports all programs at the Louisville site.
- Manages assignments and tasks for the team to support internal and external customers including Senior Manufacturing Engineer, Site Operations Director, Program Management, Value Stream Managers, Electric Boat, DCMA, and NAVSEA.
- Prepares and conducts weld engineering analysis of materials and procedures, leads weld procedure and performance qualifications efforts.
- Provides engineering support for welding operations in the manufacture of weapon systems including submarine missile tubes and major caliber naval guns.
- Reports status of projects on a regular basis to management staff.
- Reviews supplier capability and suitability to provide acceptable products and comply with government specifications.
- Utilizes knowledge of metallurgy, material weldability, welding robotics, and associated programming.
- B.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 8 years relevant experience; or an M.S. degree in a relevant technical discipline plus 6 years relevant experience
- Certification with AWS as a CWI or other relevant certification
- Defense contractor experience
- ERP/MRP systems such as Oracle or Baan experience
- Microsoft Project and PowerPoint experience
- Moderate knowledge of nondestructive testing scope and capabilities
- Understanding and practice of Lean/6-sigma concepts as applied to manufacturing
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with customers to solve moderately complex technical problems.
- Ability to develop and present technical information to all levels of management and customers.
- Ability to lead a team of engineers and juggle multiple projects at a time.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems that require a professional level of Weld Engineering knowledge.
- Ability to solve moderately complex technical design and development problems that require a professional level of engineering knowledge.
- Experience with the root cause and corrective action problem-solving.
- Expert knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures of Weld Engineering.
- Familiarity with current computer applications and technologies in applicable engineering disciplines.
- Familiarity with NDT procedure qualification to T9074-AS-GIB-010/271 or similar.
- Familiarity with weld procedure and performance qualification to NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 or similar.
- Understanding of equipment and technologies relevant to Welding and Weld Engineering.
- Well-spoken and able to have excellent working relationships with direct reports and all internal and external customers.
- Working knowledge of fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a relevant technical field of specialization.
- ITAR: U.S Citizen or Green Card Required
BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.baesystems.com.