Welder/Welder Helper (Engineering) Job Highlights
|Title||Engineering – Welder/Welder Helper|
|Location||Montgomery, AL, United States|
CSX is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal, and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products.
The company is recruiting a Welder/Welder Helper (Engineering) who must work towards qualifying to complete repairs and maintain all aspects of rail including frogs, rail-ends, turn-outs, switch points, and glue joints using arc, propane, or thermite welding processes.
Employees must be able to meet and comply with the manufacturer’s weight limitation safety rating and recommendations for any equipment associated with performing their duties, including the 300 lbs. safety rating for ladders (both portable and affixed) and fall arrest equipment.
Applicants will be considered for either a Welder or a Welder Helper position. Evaluation of job title will include relevant skills and experiences, interview results, and various other job-relevant evaluations.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED
- 21 years of age or older
- Candidates with some previous work experience will be a plus.
- Experience in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) or Flux Core Arc Welding (FCAW)
- One or more years of outside work experience (e.g. construction, heavy equipment op, farming, etc.)
- Welding certification
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) – Class A or B
- Apply filler rod to the molten area to form a weld
- Assist other employees in changing out rail
- Clean workpieces to remove impurities, such as slag, rust, and grease
- Ensure compliance with all railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Inspect all equipment daily to check for leaky cylinders, hoses, or connections
- Inspect weld after grinding to check for hairline cracks or any visible defects
- Monitor and maintain the flow of gases, light torch, and adjust the gas mixture and pressure to obtain the desired flame when making field welds
- Operate propane torches and electric and gas welding equipment
- Perform grinding tasks using power and hand tools
- Repair or replace broken or cracked rail and build-up rail, trim weld, grind the surface of rail and grind gauge sides
- Replace rail anchors, drive spikes and tamp ballast as needed
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by the manager
- Communication skills (provide clear instructions/directions)
- Mechanical aptitude
- Reasoning skills (problem-solving and troubleshooting skills)
- Verbal comprehension (Understanding oral and written communications)
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity, tracking, and inspection
- Exposure to equipment that intensifies the heat factor on an occasional basis
- Medium to Heavy Work, lifting up to 60 pounds occasionally
- Stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, balance, climb
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations
- It may require regional travel
- Must pass a background screening
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug test
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must successfully pass a probationary period
- Required to maintain this position for 6 months before bidding
- This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement and membership is req.
- Wear protective equipment such as a hard hat, hearing protection, or safety-toe boots
- Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek, overtime, and various shift work
- Must currently possess a CDL or be able to obtain one within 60 days of the start date
- Valid Driver’s License
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
To apply for this job please visit fa-eowa-saasfaprod1.fa.ocs.oraclecloud.com.