Website Commonwealth Fusion Systems
Welding Engineer Job Highlights
|Location||Cambridge, MA, United States|
|Company||Commonwealth Fusion Systems|
Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS) is the surest path to limitless, clean fusion energy. The company aims to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations.
The company is looking for a welding engineer who will be responsible for in-house welding process development for cutting edge high-field superconducting magnets and tokamak assemblies.
The welding engineer also partners with design and R&D engineers to develop the weld geometry and techniques, weld specs, and inspection methods needed for welded SPARC assemblies.
- The prospective applicants should have completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from a college or welding school.
- The candidates should have 10+ years of experience as a welding engineer on large structural systems and tooling
- Experience with large metallic structures and manufacturing processes related to machining, welding, drilling, and non-destructive test methods
- Experience taking products from R&D into production, including developing welding techniques to transition from manual to automated processes
- Weld engineering (preferred) or equivalent years of welding experience
- High self-motivation and drive to execute quickly with excellent troubleshooting/problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in CAD for tooling design is preferred (NX and Teamcenter is a plus)
- Project management experience working with internal customers and external vendors to deliver manufactured hardware within specified timelines and budgets.
- Collect, organize, and present process/quality data to a broad team
- Develop and qualify Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS) and Procedure Qualification Records (PQR)
- Develop welding and non-destructive test processes and certification plans in compliance with appropriate standards and codes
- Evaluate and create weld processes for both manual and automated welding
- Influence make vs. buy decisions and work with external vendors to augment internal capabilities
- Provide manufacturability feedback to design engineers for weld geometries and material selection
- Select and commission welding equipment needed to support production and create maintenance plans
- Troubleshoot and resolve manufacturing discrepancies with a focus on continuous improvement
- Work with in-house welders and external vendors to weld and inspect large metallic structures and tooling within specified timelines and budgets
- Exposure to hazards, fumes, heat, cold, and noise
- Extended activities such as stooping, typing, standing, & sitting
- Occasional travel will be required along with some nights/weekends, or on-call working hours
- Regularly lift up to 50 lbs.
Commonwealth Fusion Systems is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants equally for employment. The company does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.lever.co.