Website Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Welding Engineer Job Highlights
|Location||Livermore, CA, United States|
|Company||Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory|
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration within the Department of Energy.
The laboratory’s mission is to strengthen national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance.
The applied science laboratory is seeking a Welding Engineer or Welding Metallurgist who will work as a part of a team responsible for welding and other joining methods for engineering metals and alloys in the Materials and Non-Destructive Evaluation Section.
The position will work under the mentorship of staff welding engineers and metallurgists to execute experiments and activities in the areas of welding, brazing, and other joining methods for metals and alloys.
Other technical activities include development activities on alloys involving solidification, casting, metal additive manufacturing, and heat-treating processes.
- The applicants should have passed a Bachelor’s Degree in Welding Engineering, Metallurgy, or closely related technical discipline from a college/university or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in the design, fabrication, inspection, and test of welded structures and pressure vessels.
- Experience with microstructural characterization techniques, and methods to evaluate welds.
- Experience with various welding processes.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and technicians to accomplish research goals.
- Disseminate results, including methods developed, and keep records used on welded assemblies.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from experiments and development activities on welding and other joining tasks.
- Participate and provide recommendations to weld equipment upgrades.
- Provide creative solutions to technical problems involving the welding and joining of alloys by reviewing scientific and technical literature and experimental techniques.
- Provide welding engineering support to develop welds for experimental components, including a selection of weld process and filler metal selection.
- Work with and provide guidance to welders, technicians, and performing joining using a variety of equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Sufficient interpersonal skills are necessary to interact with all levels of personnel and the ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience using CAD software e.g. solid works, for designing fixturing, and understanding thermal transfer.
- Familiar with welding codes and material specifications.
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (depending on project needs)
- LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory.
- Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference the Security Clearance requirement above).
- If you are selected and clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter.
- In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
- An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
To apply for this job please visit www.llnl.gov.