Website General Dynamics Elec Boat
Welding Engineer Job Highlights
|Location||Groton, CT, United States|
|Company||General Dynamics Elec Boat|
General Dynamics Electric Boat provides design, construction, and lifecycle support of submarines for the U.S. Navy.
The company needs an individual who can support in-depth supplier audits of Electric Boat’s suppliers that perform welding to confirm compliance with all contractual requirements.
- The aspiring applicants should have completed a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Welding Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy/Metallurgical Engineering, or Material Engineering (focus on metals as opposed to non-metallics) from a welding school, college, or technical center.
- Engineering experience in the design or support of structural or piping applications and the ability to read and understand drawings (ASME Y14 Standards)
- Experience in an industrial welding environment, shipbuilding, or other heavy fabrication
- Familiarity or experience with basic arc welding processes
- Familiarity with Military, ASME IX, and AWS welding specifications
- Disposition vendor information requests
- Provide welding training/guidance to new suppliers
- Review and approve supplier welding procedures
- Participate in welding audits of suppliers including – Review supplier procedures and confirm they are being followed at the supplier’s location; Follow up on audit findings and work to adjudicate findings affecting in-process and delivered products.
Note: As part of the Supplier Oversight Group the candidate could be expected to travel to the vendors as required up to 33% of the time. The candidate will also interface with Electric Boat Engineering, Purchasing, Supplier Quality, SUPSHIP Groton, and NAVSEA as required.
- Candidates must be able to read, write, and interpret specifications, procedures, reports, and other documents; be a team player, comfortable working and communicating with all levels of management; and be able to write and speak clearly and possess basic computer skills, preferably including use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Candidates must be highly motivated and well organized with strong project management skills, attention to detail, and be capable of working both independently and in a team environment.
- Candidates should have the ability to understand basic principles of welding metallurgy and use this to explain/understand weld metal mechanical properties performance, issues with cracking, and other material-related problems and issues.
- Candidates should have the interpersonal and communication skills necessary to investigate problems by effectively asking questions, extracting necessary data from available sources, and working with others to determine root causes and implement appropriate solutions.
- The ability to maintain composure under the pressure and stress associated with an audit scenario at a supplier’s location is critical for this role.
General Dynamics Electric Boat is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.
To apply for this job please visit careers-gdeb.icims.com.