Welding Support Specialist Job Highlights
|Title||Welding Support Specialist|
|Location||Victoria, BC, Canada|
Seaspan is an association of Canadian companies primarily involved in coastal marine transportation, ship docking/ship escort, ship repair/refit, and shipbuilding services. It also provides commercial ferry, shipyard, and bunkering services via affiliate companies such as Marine Petrobulk, Seaspan Ferries, Vancouver Drydock, Vancouver Shipyards, and Victoria Shipyards.
The company is looking for a Welding Superintendent who will be responsible for the management of all welding trade work at Victoria Shipyards (VSL) including a budget, schedule, quality, and safety activities.
Ensures projects are appropriately staffed and supervised to meet timelines and customer requirements, and to ensure all work is carried out in accordance with shipyard safety, quality, and environmental standards.
Responsible to hire, training and provide qualified Welders as requested by Project and Program Managers.
Works in conjunction with VSL Welding Engineers to develop and implement welding procedures and processes, as well as analyze and recommend tools, equipment, jigs, and fixtures for implementation.
Provides leadership and direction for continuous process improvement in the Welding Department, and fosters an attitude of cooperation with other VSL departments.
- The applicants should have completed Grade 12
- Trade Certification in Welding, Fabrication, or Ship fitting
- Possess 5 to 7 years of supervisory experience in Marine Structural Welding
- Experience managing a large multi-discipline project-driven workforce
- Allocates manpower to projects in accordance with project schedules and priorities, ensuring workers have the required skill for assigned tasks
- Analyzes tools, equipment, jigs, and fixtures for application to VSL operations. Provides recommendations to the Steel Manager
- Conducts regular maintenance and safety inspections of equipment, facilities, and work sites ensuring deficiencies are quickly rectified
- Ensures compliance with union collective agreements and WCB regulations
- Ensures that a strong safety culture is instilled within the Welding Department
- Improves department skill and productivity by liaising with Supervisors to assess employee skills and performance. Initiates training as required
- Leads process improvement and safety initiatives for the Welding Department
- Maintains and develops ISO procedures for welding operations
- Maintains department records including certifications and training records
- Maintains positive relationships with customers by communicating the scope of work, progress, material, and workmanship
- Manages cost, schedule, quality, and safety for all Welding Department operations by monitoring budgets, providing skilled and efficient resources, aligning workmanship with quality standards, and ensuring compliance with VSL safety procedures
- Manages the hiring, training, and deployment of qualified welders
- Monitors work progress with the Welding Supervisors to assess job status. Provides guidance, direction, and corrective action where required to ensure Company and Customer expectations are met
- Provides input in new projects by actively participating in build/repair strategy development, project schedules, and cost estimates
- Supports the Purchasing Department in procuring consumable materials for fabrication and welding processes by providing insight and assistance in material specifications
- Works in collaboration with the VSL Welding Engineer to develop efficient and effective welding procedures and processes that meet customer requirements.
- Works with disability and rehabilitation consultants in assisting injured employees return-to-work by selecting appropriate accommodations
- Ability to conduct business in a professional and ethical manner
- Ability to conduct inspections to ensure projects meet SMC S.O.P. standards
- Ability to read and interpret complex technical specifications and drawings
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated competency in the development and qualification of weld procedures
- Detailed knowledge of welding procedures and fitting techniques
- Excellent technical, analytical, problem solving, communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the certification process under the CSA Standards W47.1/W47.2M
- Knowledge of regulatory bodies and the application of regulation for repair and new construction projects
- Knowledge of shipbuilding terminology, methods, and procedures
- Knowledge of welding equipment as defined by CSA standards
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Seaspan is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including, women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.