Mechanical Designer Job Highlights
|Location||Rapid City, SD, United States|
Caterpillar is the world’s leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines, and diesel-electric locomotives.
The company is recruiting a Mechanical Designer who will design and develop moderately complex product and component concepts for release to production in a manner to ensure superior performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability to the worldwide marketplace.
Helps maintain top-level configurations.
- Applicants should have an accredited Engineering Degree from a college/university (desired)
- An incumbent without a degree would typically have 3 years minimum of progressive, relevant experience to gain a working knowledge of basic design and engineering disciplines.
The amount of experience typically needed would then decrease as the amount of completed, relevant education increases.
- Possess work-related experience (a plus)
- Hands-on experience with machining, welding, assembly, construction, or ag equipment.
- Provides technical guidance to drafting personnel and assembly or manufacturing processors. Ensures exacting engineering standards are followed for assembly and piece part tolerance, material finish, clearances, etc. Furnishes technical counsel to Layout Drafters, Drafting Technicians, and purchased drafting support in assigned areas of responsibility. Provides guidance to Assemblers and Test Engineers during product buildup and testing. Ensures proper maintenance of production drawings.
- Refines and improves product designs by investigating and developing solutions to product design problems. Works with customers, dealers, and other departments throughout the resolution process. Works within established development plans and production releases. May recommend approval or rejection of engineering design deviations and change requests submitted by other departments.
- Conceives moderately complex product design concepts and prepares design models using a computer graphics system. Makes calculations, design decisions, and necessary analysis and computer simulations. Works closely with Sr. Designer/Modeler, technologists, engineers, technicians, manufacturing personnel, and suppliers regarding product design, test, and production schedule dates. Provides technical guidance to Manufacturing, Quality, Purchasing, Marketing, Sales, Service, and other departments.
- Conceives and provides practical and improved product design applications. The emphasis of this position is on conceiving moderately complex product designs and preparing design models. Supports Sr. Designer/Modeler, technologists, and engineers and works under their direction in defining a configuration.
- Travels to foreign and domestic production plants, dealerships, and customer job sites to recommend solutions to design problems and goes to field test locations to assist with the development of engineering projects. Develops unique design features that the Company often patents to gain a competitive advantage.
- Pro/Engineering skills are highly desirable
- Requires good mechanical and computer aptitude, as well as good communication skills.
- Domestic relocation assistance is available for this position
- This position may require up to 10% travel
- The company offers a total rewards package that provides benefits on day one (medical, dental, vision, RX, and 401K) along with the potential of an annual bonus.
- Additional benefits include paid vacation days and paid holidays (prorated based on the hire date).
Caterpillar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit careers.caterpillar.com.