Sr. Metallurgist Job Highlights
|Sparks, NV, United States
Tesla is accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy through increasingly affordable electric vehicles in addition to renewable energy generation and storage.
The company is looking for a metallurgist dedicated to manufacturing operations in vehicle and energy storage systems where metal joining is critical. The candidate will also use materials analysis like spectroscopy and microscopy to analyze products manufactured.
- The prospective candidates should have passed a BS in Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, or other related science from a welding school.
- The candidates should have 5 years of practical experience in die-attach, metal joining, especially laser welding or wire bonding of metals.
- Define manufacturing process limits as a function of metallurgical properties
- Understand and solve problems around metal characterization specifically surfaces for metal joining by sintering to produce a product that exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Understand and solve problems around solder joint formation on PCBAs
- Understand and solve problems related to material issues affecting metal joining by laser welding for terminal attach in electrical systems.
- Understand and solve problems related to material issues affecting metal fasteners and attachments used in structural and electrical applications
- Root cause and analysis of metal joint failures due to contamination, corrosion, and environmental impact
i) Property impact on product manufacturability
ii) Identify and lead the development of quality and sustainability improvement projects.
iii) Identify cost reduction opportunities and realize them by working with a production team and design engineering team.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems and make data-driven decisions about product quality
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Scanning Electron Microscopy + EDS and Confocal Surface Acoustic Microscopy sample preparation like dissection and polishing
- Strong understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the use of internal quality systems.
- X-Ray Fluorescence, X-Ray Diffraction, X-Ray Imaging
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Note: Tesla participates in the E-Verify Program.
To apply for this job please visit www.tesla.com.