Team Leader Job Highlights
|Type||Full Time (2nd shift)|
|Location||Marshall, MI, United States|
Tenneco is one of the world’s leading designers, manufacturers, and marketers of automotive products for original equipment and aftermarket customers.
The company is looking for a Team Leader who will perform in this way.
Serve as a support resource, lead team members to meet production schedules, facilitate the safe and productive manufacture of high-quality products, and effectively drive and maintain the standardized work process.
Train team members in the proper method
Help the team to succeed in an environment based on BOS, continuous improvement, Lean manufacturing, and 5-S
Key characteristics of a successful team leader are problem-solving, coaching, and eliminating waste in the organization by responding to abnormalities and following the TMS philosophy.
- No education level is mentioned, yet a High School Diploma will be a plus
- Possess Industrial or manufacturing experience with 12 months of shop floor operations experience (preferred)
- Review (bimonthly) the safety board with all team members.
- Create a mentally engaged, physically, and professionally safe environment.
- Champion and promote the plant’s safety policies and procedures by adopting the Tenneco safety culture.
- Lead by example in promoting safety practices and policies, including but not limited to, initiating start-of-shift stretches, wearing proper PPE, and holding all team members accountable for wearing theirs; following LOTO procedures; reminding the team about the importance of Hazcom labels (present, correct and legible data) and MSDS information.
- Surface all team member injuries or illnesses to Supervisor.
- Observe team members’ techniques as they perform the job functions and reduce overburden by counter-measuring any awkward or excessive movements. Collaborate with the supervisor or EH&S coordinator to continuously improve the ergonomics of the work.
- Complete any 5-S documentation and records as required by the 5-S plan.
- Continually evaluate the 5-S condition by observing the process area and follow-up on abnormalities.
- Daily promote the 5-S Process for the cell or value stream.
- Adhere to the ongoing use of the yellow card audit system
- Coordinate the “continuous improvement” of Standardized Work and follow-up to ensure changes are made or abnormalities are resolved.
- Lead by example to ensure consistency of standardized work by all team members.
- Team Leaders or their assigned designees train the team members in Standardized Work practices and follow up on any concerns that arise, actively listening for team members’ techniques or methods that potentially improve the standardized work.
- Train and audit team members in standardized work, update and revise standardized work (as necessary), and complete the training matrix to document all training.
Job Instruction Training-
- Provide department/new hire orientation as required for replacements.
- Train using the standardized work Teaching methodology: 1) Prepare the team member; 2) Present the operation to the team member; 3) Allow the team member to try out the operation; and 4) provide coaching and follow-up.
- Validate job breakdown sheets and standardize work processes with the team.
- Assure upward communication of the issues or successes of the cell on an as-needed basis.
- Communicate with the next shift any and all issues/concerns resulting from your shift’s operations.
- Complete required paperwork such as production record charts, quality information, and logbook for shift-to-shift communication.
- Discuss in team meetings [huddles] information concerning safety, quality, inventory, production schedules, etc., and foster continuous improvement through communication.
- Listen and talk to the team members to get a better sense of their concerns and issues.
- Maintain the glass wall in a neat and organized manner.
- Provide timely and effective feedback to help team members to strengthen specific skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem.
- Monitor the hourly production board to keep abreast of the current production rate
- Respond as primary support to team member calls when needed and to avoid a line stop.
Cell Operations (Product, Equipment, Quality)-
- Confirm the quality of materials and finished goods.
- Respond immediately when product abnormalities occur, solve the problem, or report upward.
- Ensure set-up and operation of equipment in accordance with production requirements, procedures, and policies.
- Provide first response to line problems, document problems, resolve them when possible, and follow up with resources to assure that the problem is corrected.
- Provide direction to team members to maintain compliance with process standards.
- Monitor and record efficiency and downtime for the area assigned to assure cell(s) are running to TAKT time.
- Continuously monitor and manage nonproductive time in the cell (changeover, downtime)
- Facilitate the proper completion of scrap documentation.
- Identify defects and suspect material and confer with the supervisor to coordinate the appropriate disposition and elimination of scrap
- Monitor the usage of operating supplies.
- Lead actions to countermeasure a problem’s root cause, monitor the results, and standardize the changes made to correct the problem.
- Be proactive in resolving problems in the cell, and elevate the need for assistance as necessary.
- “Go see” and observe problems firsthand, investigate, and ensure an effective understanding of the facts/data.
- Solve problems utilizing the “scientific method.”
- Deepen process learning through rapid low-cost trials/experiments to solve problems.
- Lead and mentor the team to continuously improve their processes towards True North and strive to eliminate waste in the process.
- Build strategic working relationships to achieve work and team goals.
- Coordinate job assignments based on production needs or attendance concerns.
- Develop, support, and monitor activities that foster teamwork within the group.
- Frequently analyze work balance to eliminate waste.
- Immediately escalate any unlawful or improper practices to their supervisor and or Human Resources.
- Support a positive work environment that is free of harassment, discrimination, or other unlawful practices.
- Complete required paperwork such as production record charts, quality information, and the logbook for shift-to-shift communication.
- Working knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, and SAP (preferred)
- Must possess the knowledge to read, write, and perform basic math skills (including basic algebra, fractions, and geometry).
- Must have the ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram forms.
- The ability to operate, troubleshoot, make minor adjustments, or perform preventive maintenance on metal bending, welding, forming, fabrication, and assembly equipment would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated experience in the effective use of quality control gauges/equipment, inventory systems, blueprint interpretation, computer applications, and SPC charting where applicable.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Subject to the needs of the position and boundary area, obtain a valid forklift license, i.e., Shipping.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to interact cooperatively and collaboratively with co-workers and supervision.
- Follow all changes, projects, and orders through to full completion.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, manage multiple priorities, work effectively alone or in a team environment, adapt to changing work requirements, emulate strong interpersonal skills and effectively interact with people and motivate high performance of work team.
- Ability to organize work under constant demands and changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to logically reason and apply the problem-solving process.
- Must be willing to accept challenges and opportunities of acting in a leadership role and suggestions/recommendations for professional development.
- Must demonstrate professional and ethical leadership.
- Must have good facilitation and decision-making skills.
- Must possess a desire to champion change and the ability to motivate others to do so as well.
- Strong basic math skills in calculations, tracking, and analysis.
- Ability to work any shift as needed.
- Flexible enough to work long hours to meet customer needs from time to time.
- Must have excellent attendance and punctuality and be in compliance and good standing with the local Attendance Policy
- No Employee Warning notices for 90 days prior to application.
- Performance Improvement Plans must have been closed for 90 days prior to application.
- All Machines, Tools, Software, etc. used in this position
- Microsoft Office
- SAP knowledge (a plus)
- Regularly required to stand in place for long periods of time and uses dexterity of hands to handle and feel materials.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Occasionally required to sit, climb, or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Regularly lift or move up to 40 pounds, and may occasionally lift or move more weight with the safety assistance of another employee.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regular exposure to moving mechanical parts.
- Occasional exposure to fumes or airborne particles, liquids including oil, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock, and vibration.
- Noise levels in the work environment are usually loud, requiring hearing protection.
- Temperatures will vary in the factory (hot to cold).
- The workspaces will sometimes be somewhat crowded.
- On rare or infrequent occasions, the manager may assign a short trip to travel by automobile or commercial carrier to attend meetings, training, conferences, customer visits, or other plants.
- Ability to communicate in an effective manner.
- Ability to move about the plant in both the office and manufacturing areas.
- Ability to sit frequently for extended periods of time.
- Ability to travel occasionally.
- Manual dexterity for computer work.
Tenneco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.tenneco.com.