Build Supervisor (Starship Integration/Weld) Job Highlights
|Title||Build Supervisor (Starship Integration/Weld)|
|Location||Brownsville, TX, United States|
SpaceX manufactures, designs, and launches the world’s most advanced rockets and spacecraft. It aims to revolutionize space transportation, with the ultimate goal of making life multi-planetary. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
The company is recruiting a Build Supervisor who will be responsible for leading a team of technicians and welders to build and integrate the primary and secondary structures, avionics, stage propulsion components, and systems for the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles.
The supervisor of the team will take technical direction from the engineering team and turn it into reality by building, retaining, and managing their team effectively; distributing labor resources, prioritizing certain aspects of the build, and setting headcount requirements where necessary.
- The applicants should have passed a Bachelor’s Degree from a university/college OR
- They should have 5+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing, production, or military environment
- The candidates should have 1+ years of experience leading a team or project
- Accomplish production results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, appraising job results
- Assess and vet appropriate skillsets as needed
- Continuously improve process and manpower efficiency, utilization, and productivity
- Effectively organize, assign and track work/deliverables for the team, ensuring seamless progression through multi-shift work schedules
- Ensure product quality and conformance to specifications
- Identify training needs and develop training programs
- Improve area safety and efficiency through regular auditing and continuous improvement
- Initiate and foster a spirit of cooperation within and between departments
- Lead and manage a staff of at least 30 technicians including all performance management related tasks
- Maintain tooling and consumable supply inventory
- Monitor labor hours and overtime, and implement improvement plans and time management with staff
- Provide required data and reporting to support departmental metrics and improvement objectives
- Review work instructions and make change recommendations when needed
- Supervise shop floor activity, including daily schedules and workflow
- 8+ years of experience in final assembly and production in a fast-paced manufacturing environment
- A&P license
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) with Engineering and Production
- Able to adapt to constant changing work assignments and a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent concentration and attention to detail with outstanding work efficiency and accuracy
- Experience applying lean manufacturing principles and efficiency methods
- Experience bringing teams and processes from development to production is highly desirable
- Experience with final assembly in aviation, aerospace, or mechanical systems
- Familiarity with design for manufacturability, kaizen, lean manufacturing, six sigma, and failure mode effects analysis
- Must be able to climb ladders, stoop, bend, crawl, and work in tight spaces
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs unassisted
- Must be able to travel for short and extended trips as needed
- Must be able to work in an environment with exposure to fumes, odors, noise, and external weather (heat, cold, and rain)
- Must be available to work extended hours and/or weekends, which varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility required
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this job please visit boards.greenhouse.io.