Engineering Manager Job Highlights
|Location||West Chicago, IL, United States|
STERIS helps the Customers to create a healthier and safer world by providing innovative healthcare and life science product and service solutions. The company is a leading provider of products and services that meet the needs of growth areas within Healthcare: procedures, devices, vaccines, and biologics.
The company is searching for an Engineering Manager who will supervise a team of engineers for the CNC Machining division.
Additionally, this role oversees all engineering activities within the department (APQP, ECN, and New Product Development), implements and maintains overall engineering objectives and initiatives, and oversees a robust project management process and delivery timelines to keep projects on schedule and on budget.
- The applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering General from a university or college.
- No work experience is mentioned, yet having this will be a plus.
- Assesses the state of manufacturing technology for both the current and future state of the industry.
- Confers with vendors, perform due diligence, provide financial justification, purchase, plan, and install new manufacturing equipment for the plant. Manage capital investment budget
- Determines cause and corrective actions to resolve issues involving non-compliant products or materials. Assists others in root cause and failure analysis as required.
- Develop and maintain all standard manufacturing processes relating to process development, equipment design, change management, and process.
- Develops and maintains robust, cost-efficient manufacturing processes and product structures consistent with lean manufacturing practices.
- Directly supervises the team of Chips Engineers and assigned staff.
- Implements methods and practices to reduce variation.
- Insures the equipment and systems adhere to safety requirements, as well as local, state, and federal industry regulations.
- Introduces innovative equipment and processes to the operation.
- Leads improvement efforts in productivity, safety, machine capabilities, quality, and efficiency
- Leads in the following areas: methods, tools, jigs and fixtures, equipment, product and tooling cost estimates, work simplification, and method improvements.
- Maintains plant layout. Provide layout change recommendations when necessary.
- Manages projects and conducts project reviews as needed to ensure successful and timely completion of projects.
- Participates in long-term planning activities such as budget planning, project work, capital projects, and staff utilization
- Participates in the design review process.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs activities of the Chips Engineering team in support of existing products and the introduction of new products.
- Prioritizes and delegates daily workload for the Chips Engineering Team. Balances team’s short-term and long-term, and shop-support responsibilities.
- Promotes a culture of continuous improvement and understands lean manufacturing techniques.
- Provide manufacturing input for Customer quotations.
- Works with the manufacturing sites to look at new processes and technologies to improve process efficiency, execute lean initiatives, and drive world-class manufacturing processes.
- Ability to train employees one-on-one and/or teams in gauging, reading quality reports, and other critical tasks that support quality of product and development of operators
- Assists in the design and fabrication of manufacturing process equipment and methods.
- Assists in the development of engineering drawings and specifications.
- Assists in the troubleshooting of systems and equipment and perform repairs under close supervision.
- Conducts tests, gathers and analyzes information, helps interpret findings. May require the application of computer skills and knowledge of relevant software applications.
- Establishes and maintains an effective communication system within the business
- Facilitates/leads continuous improvement efforts within the business using Lean Principles and Practices
- Familiarity with various plating and heat-treating processes
- Hands-on machining problem solving and troubleshooting
- Leads career development, safety, budgetary management/cost control within the business
- Leads efforts to empower team members/team leaders in the business unit to interface and resolve issues with internal and external customers/suppliers and follow-up on problem-solving efforts
- Ordering initial tooling for new jobs
- Participate as a member of the product development team; interact with cross-functional teams in various projects.
- Performs engineering calculations by calculator or computer to solve routine engineering problems.
- Performs manufacturability studies on new product designs
- Prepares straightforward plans, designs, calculations, analyses, etc. in accordance with established codes, standards, drawings, or other specifications.
- Production process development and improvements. This includes contacting customers and working with vendors
- Proficient with computer software in order to perform required tasks. This includes Solid Works, Microsoft Excel, Auto CAD, and Part Maker
- Requires basic oral, written, and listening skills to gather, prepare, present, discuss findings and conclusions.
- Requires familiarity with technical terms or procedures basic to the function in order to communicate effectively with co-workers.
- Requisitions components and supplies for engineering projects, interacting with vendors to obtain price and product information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must assist setup personnel in troubleshooting initial and existing jobs
- Must have a full understanding of tooling applications (speed and feeds)
- Must have knowledge of G code programming and use of CAM software
- Must possess knowledge of materials (machinability)
STERIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company is committed to equal employment opportunity and the use of affirmative action programs to ensure that persons are recruited, hired, trained, transferred, and promoted in all job groups regardless of race, color, religion, age, disability, national origin, citizenship status, military or veteran status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal, state or local law.
To apply for this job please visit careers.steris.com.