Field Service Specialist (Locomotive) Job Highlights
|Title||Field Service Specialist – Locomotive|
|Location||Galena Park, TX, United States|
GATX Corporation provides innovative, unparalleled service that enables customers to transport what matters safely and sustainably while championing the well-being of our employees and communities.
The company is seeking a Field Service Specialist who will perform scheduled and on-demand maintenance, repair, and inspection of GATX-owned locomotives.
Ensures that all necessary invoicing, inspection, and work order information is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely customer billing.
Must understand and follow GATX and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures. Must demonstrate good teamwork skills and knowledge of FRA regulations.
- The applicants should have a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Possess a minimum of 2 years of locomotive repair experience or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
Locomotive Service and Repairs-
- Performs scheduled and on-demand maintenance, repair and inspection of GATX-owned locomotives as required to meet regulatory, quality and customer production needs.
- Communicates, verbally and in writing, technical information, job procedure recommendations, and other work-related information.
- Conducts locomotive inspections to insure each unit complies with regulatory, industry and customer-specific requirements, and to detect evidence of wear or needed fuel, oil, and other consumables.
- Reads and interprets blueprints; schematics; GATX policies, procedures, and engineering instructions; and FRA and DOT regulations.
- Safely and effectively operates the following; acetylene torches, non-power tools (pliers, wrenches, hammers), power tools (drills, power saws, grinders); electric and gas welding equipment.
- Understands and follows company and industry safety rules, practices, and procedures; wears prescribed personal protective equipment; operates GATX vehicles safely and responsibly; takes appropriate action when conditions threaten the safety of self or coworkers; ensures equipment and work area are in safe operating condition before starting work.
- Meets the expectations and requirements of all customers.
- Ensures that customers are satisfied with the work.
- Ensures that all necessary invoicing, inspection, and work order information is complete in order to facilitate correct and timely customer billing.
- Monitors and audits completed repair work orders, systems, and forms.
- Maintains all certifications, including TWIC cards, Houston area safety council, and site-specific safety training requirements at various locations on the Gulf Coast.
- Demonstrates strong familiarity with FRA rules and regulations.
- Partners with the manager and other site personnel to ensure certifications, customer suitability requirements, and other job requirements remain current.
- Works toward obtaining the skills necessary to advance to Sr. Field Service Specialist.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- This position will interact with all levels and positions within Locomotive, with various departments in Chicago, and customers. The primary impact of this position is repairing GATX-owned locomotives. This position operates under the direction of the Sr. Mechanical Manager – Gulf Coast within a predefined GATX structure.
- This person must maintain a consistent safety focus, be competent around locomotives and be familiar with all customer site requirements so as to fulfill the scope of this function, which is to maintain and repair locomotives at customer locations. Will schedule and manage the content of the work day with little to no direct supervision.
- Demonstrate increasing and ongoing improvement in abilities and skills required for performing locomotive inspections and repairs. Demonstrate familiarity with inventory and supply management. Consistently demonstrate skills in customer relations, using good interpersonal skills, and being able to work as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to meet all customer suitability requirements required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, in English required.
- Ability to pass a DOT mandated physical required.
- Ability to perform non-structural welds required ability to perform structural welds and visually inspect welds preferred.
- Ability to problem-solve and use sound judgment required.
- Background in EMD locomotive repair required.
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite, are required.
- Demonstrated skill with inventory and supply management required.
- Possess a strong understanding of FRA rules and regulations, GATX Rail Policies, and Safety and Quality procedures required.
- Possess the ability to troubleshoot mechanical and electrical systems, along with problem-solving abilities to make sound decisions required.
- Sensitivity to customer demands and being flexible in work hours, including weekends, is required.
- Supportive of an inclusive work environment where all co-workers are respected and valued.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), or the ability to obtain, required.
- Valid driver’s license required; commercial driver’s license preferred.
- Possess strong locomotive mechanical and electrical systems knowledge
- Customer Service Skills and Focus
- Decision-making Ability
- Detail Oriented
- Effective interpersonal and communications skills
- Planning and Organizational Skills
- Results Driven and Self Starter
- Team Player
- Must be able to lift up to 90 pounds
- Must be able to stoop, climb ladders and safely perform work tasks.
- Must be able to travel within 150 to 400 miles of the work location, as necessary.
- Must be able to work on-call hours.
- Must work in all types of weather conditions.
- Occasional overnight stays away from home
- Financial Security
- Health and Wellness
- Work/Life Balance
GATX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
To apply for this job please visit www.gatx.com.