Materials Engineer Job Highlights
|Location||Reading, PA, United States|
EnerSys is the global leader in stored energy solutions for industrial applications. The company provides an extensive line of motive power, reserve power, aerospace/defense, and specialty batteries with a full range of integrated services and systems. EnerSys is the power/full solution for stored DC power products.
The company is seeking a Materials Engineer who will provide technical guidance on the suitability and processing of established and new materials and design aspects related to our lead-acid and lithium battery products.
The role requires a strong background in materials evaluation and processing. The candidate must have the ability to work in a multinational, multifunctional team environment but also have the confidence to challenge current preconceptions.
- The applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Materials Science/Engineering or another engineering, science, math, or similar technical discipline from a university or college.
- The candidates should have 5 years of experience working with materials encompassing processing, part design, and tooling. Special consideration will be made for those with experience with a broad range of plastic materials.
- Experience in the automotive industry or a similar will be an advantage.
- Experience in joining technologies, especially welding, metal to a plastic replacement, additive manufacturing, or over-molding preferred.
- The Materials Engineer (ME) will lead or collaborate with engineering and other business units in order to take designs successfully from prototype stages through to mass production. These key development projects may require new tooling, design, and production of parts or modifications of existing parts.
- The ME will support the electrochemistry group, design engineers, and the supply chain with respect to material selection, fabrication techniques, and other project-specific innovations.
Functional Technical Support
- The ME is expected to assist and support failure analysis to identify root causes in the field and production.
- The ME will work with suppliers to support tooling transfers, cost reduction initiatives, troubleshooting, and assist with the evaluation of new suppliers.
- This is not a supervisory position; however, the ME will work with cross-functional teams to refine specifications and achieve product performance, aesthetic, schedule, cost, reliability, and quality targets.
Advanced Development Activities
- Drive innovation via the use of novel materials and processing techniques to achieve cost reduction, light-weighting, efficiency improvements, and others.
- Extend materials support a broader range of battery and electronic products such as composites, adhesives, potting materials, foams, and sealants.
- Track new technique and technology development trends and validate their application in EnerSys products.
- Knowledge of battery systems built around lithium-ion technology, particularly regarding pack design, assembly, and processing of materials in these systems, is highly sought.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of programs, especially Excel and Powerpoint. Experience in using CAD packages, such as Solidworks, or modeling tools is beneficial, but not essential.
- The ideal candidate will be a team player that can also work independently with a positive attitude, manage complex tasks proactively, possesses a high attention to detail, is adaptable, innovative, and has strong interpersonal skills.
- The ME should have experience in defining test plans, designing test setups, and analyzing data.
- Up to 20% of the time may be allocated to travel to EnerSys facilities and supplier sites to facilitate or coordinate solutions to problems related to the application of our products. International travel may be required.
EnerSys is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.enersys.com.