Website Nikola Motor Company
Senior Mechanical Engineer Job Highlights
|Title||Senior Mechanical Engineer|
|Location||Cypress, CA, United States|
|Company||Nikola Motor Company|
Nikola is a technology disruptor and integrator, working to develop innovative energy and transportation solutions. It is pioneering a business model that will enable corporate customers to integrate next-generation truck technology, hydrogen fueling infrastructure, and maintenance.
The company is searching for a Senior Mechanical Engineer within the Production Engineering organization. This role is responsible for a broad range of mechanical engineering tasks. Typical assignments will include the execution of design and integration at the system and component levels.
The position will report to the Manager of Packs and Vehicle Integration.
- Applicants should have a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Structural engineering or a related discipline from a college/university
- Automotive or aerospace industries (preferred)
- Possess 6 to 8+ years of direct engineering experience
- Design of electromechanical or mechanical systems while working collaboratively across multiple engineering disciplines (thermal, stress, electrical, manufacturing)
- Design structural sheet metal, weldments, extrusions, and casted parts
- Detailed design and technical drawings of systems, components, and interfaces
- Engineering support of manufacturing and build activities along with development testing
- Ownership of component or system delivery, through the APQP + PPAP process, from conception, design, manufacturing readiness, assembly, and production launch through the EVT, DVT, and PVT design and validation
- Provide guidance and mentor more junior engineers in best mechanical design practices
- Reading and interpreting engineering specifications
- Structural design optimization (material selection, light-weighting)
- Direct experience with APQP and PPAP for high-volume designs
- Direct experience with casted parts, sheet metal forming, and weldments for aluminum and steel
- Direct experience with various high-volume manufacturing processes (machining, casting, extrusions, injection molding, stamping). Deep understanding of coating, plating, bonding, and welding processes.
- Enjoy working in a startup type of engineering environment
- Experience applying GD&T to component designs and assemblies per ASME Y14.5-2009
- Experience with tolerance stack-up analysis involving multiple components of various materials
- Experience working with manufacturing engineers and the design-for-manufacturing iteration loop
- Hands-on build experience
- Have an engineering background with a good understanding of mechanical fundamentals (thermal, stress)
- Knowledge of electrical fundamentals
- Competent understanding of physics and dynamics
- Able to integrate complex electromechanical/mechanical systems
- Candidates must have current U.S. work authorization or be TN-eligible from Mexico or Canada.
- This position is not eligible for CPT or OPT.
Nikola Motor Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, color, age, sex, ancestry, marital status, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, medical condition, pregnancy, veteran status, genetic information or any other classification protected by state or federal law.
To apply for this job please visit careers-nikolamotor.icims.com.