Website BAE Systems
Welder Job Highlights
|Full Time (1st shift)
|Norfolk, VA, United States
BAE Systems is an international defense, aerospace, and security company. It delivers a full range of products and services for air, land, and naval forces. It also provides advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions, and customer support services.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems does the big stuff i.e. the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair, just to name a few.
The company is seeking a Welder who will weld together metal components as specified by blueprints, work orders, or oral instructions through the use of weld equipment and tools.
- The prospective applicants should have a High School Diploma or GED
- The candidates should have a minimum of 2 to 5 years of relevant experience.
- Examine workpieces for defects and measure workpieces with straightedges or templates to ensure conformance with specifications
- Weld stainless steel and carbon steel and possibly other alloys testing
- Weld structural steel in all positions.
- Certification in flux-cored arc welding (FCAW or FCA) (a semi-automatic or automatic arc welding process)
- Certification in gas metal arc welding (GMAW) (a welding process in which an electric arc forms between a consumable wire electrode and the workpiece metal(s), which heats the workpiece metal(s), causing them to melt, and join)
- Certification in gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) (arc welding process that uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to produce the weld)
- Certification in shielded metal arc welding (SMAW), also known as manual metal arc welding (MMA or MMAW), flux shielded arc welding, or informally as stick welding (manual arc welding process that uses a consumable electrode covered with a flux to lay the weld)
- Certification in submerged arc welding (SAW) (a common arc welding process that requires a continuously fed consumable solid or tubular (metal cored) electrode)
- Other certifications for welding various materials include: carbon steel, stainless steel, copper-nickel, and aluminum
- Demonstrate an intermediate understanding of various structural welds and how to operate and maintain the machines that fabricate and repair metal structures, equipment, and machinery. Must be proficient in obtained welding certification: SMAW Plate, SMAW Pipe, GTAW Pipe, and any other certification.
- Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions in written, oral, or diagram form
- Must be able to calculate and understand units of measure, including fractions and decimals
- Must be able to obtain a government access badge.
- Must be able to read, write and comprehend simple instructions
- Must be able to wear safety PPE and use personal hand tools (adjustable wrenches, wire cutters, pliers, etc.)
- Must know how to measure using a scale and tape measure
- ITAR: U.S Citizen or Green Card Required
BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.baesystems.com.