Pipefitter Job Highlights
|Location||West Point, PA, United States|
Merck is the power of leading-edge science to save and improve lives around the world. It brings hope to humanity through the development of important medicines and vaccines. It is a premier research-intensive biopharmaceutical company.
The company is searching for a Pipefitter who will install and maintain all piping and plumbing in the facility and will complete maintenance on any equipment or facilities which their skills support in a compliant manner.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED) with completion of a formal pipefitter/plumber apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent
- Graduate of a recognized pipefitter/plumber trade school with subjects that include blueprint reading, plumbing, and various industrial piping systems (steam, gas air potable water, fire protection, process materials, etc.)
- Verified Military training equivalent to a recognized/accredited trade school or journeyman apprenticeship program
- Possess 3 years of recent full-time experience as a journeyman pipefitter/plumber and must include installing and repairing a broad range of industrial piping systems (steam, gas, air, potable water, fire protection, process materials, etc.)
- Completion of 4 years of on-the-job training as part of a formal pipefitter/plumber apprentice program that is approved by the United States Department of Labor or equivalent
- 3 years of recent (within the last 7 years) full-time military experience as a pipefitter/plumber
- Acid clean coils, equipment, and pressure vessels
- Attend and actively participates in HAZOPS, waste walkthroughs, Kaizen events, or any other operations, lean six-sigma, quality, safety, or environmental training/initiatives
- Consults with Supervision and other mechanics on problem resolution/troubleshooting/Keeps Supervision informed of problem issues
- Cuts access holes to install pipe through floors and walls, using suitable tools
- Fabricates and fits pipe hangers and supports to walls and ceilings, etc.
- Handles and installs pipes of various materials such as but not limited to stainless steel, glass, iron, steel, aluminum, synthetic materials, PVC or similar, copper, etc.
- Installs temporary insulation where needed upon the completion of repairs to piping
- Installs, inspects, maintains, repairs, or replaces pipes, pipelines, filters, steam traps, strainers, valves, etc. Installs and replaces safety valves, relief valves, rupture discs, pressure regulators, conservation vents, flame arrestors, etc.
- Installs, lays out, bends, cuts, threads and joins pipe and fitting that will withstand steam, gas, hydraulic, vacuum, water or air pressure, or process materials. Installs and maintains drainage, waste, and vent systems
- Maintains restroom facilities including handicapped fixtures with appurtenances and washroom fixtures in first-class operational condition
- Makes recommendations and prepares orders for spare parts, additional stock room items, tools, etc.
- May assist supervision with the assigning, scheduling, and prioritization of work order requests using the CMMS
- Prepares and assists technicians, supervisors, and planners in preparing labor and material estimates
- Tests equipment and piping for pressure and leaks
- Visually inspects pressure and vacuum gauges, recommends repair, and completes work
- Working from blueprints, drawings, sketches, CMMS-driven work orders, or other instructions/Reference manufacturer’s equipment manuals
- Write, execute, and complete safety permits
- Miscellaneous hand and power-operated tools for pipe cutting, pipe grooving, threading and turning, power-driven pipe cutting and threading machines, oxyacetylene equipment (for uses exclusive of welding or cutting), LPG torches, pipe clean-out machine, etc. Test equipment for steam, potable water, fire protection, etc. Drill press and miscellaneous shop equipment, acid treating equipment.
- Ability to read and work from blueprints, drawings, sketches, etc.
- Our Manufacturing and Supply Division is committed to being the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create an interdependent global manufacturing network that’s committed to delivering a high-quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
- Some heavy lifting, heat and cold, use of solvents, subject to immunizations, dirt, and dust, safety shoes, and glasses, respirators, work in trenches, work from ladders and scaffolds. May be required to carry a pager or a radio.
Merck is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.merck.com.