Certified Welding Educator Program (CWE) is a career-oriented initiative for professionals specializing in welding education. AWS certification confirms welding educators the ability to teaching and training pertaining to welding education and classroom instructions. The provision for CWE is prescribed in QC5 AWS Standard for the Certification of Welding Educators.
- What is Certified Welding Educator Program?
- How to Apply for CWE Certification?
- Certified Welding Educator Program Fees
- Books for AWS Seminar Participants
- AWS Pre-seminar Online Courses
- CWE Program Exam Pattern
- No CWE Certification Testing If You
- Renewal of AWS Certified Welding Educator
- Do CWE Need Recertification?
- AWS CWE Certification Program Benefits
What is the Certified Welding Educator Program?
CWE certification program is designed for welding educators or instructors to provide training in welding schools. The American Welding Society has developed minimum standards for welding professionals willing to demonstrate knowledge and skills.
Who are the Potential Applicants?
The aspiring professionals should have had the following requirements.
- Ability to prepare instructions plans, evaluate student performance, conduct training classes, and understand training requirements.
- Familiar with welder qualifications, welding procedures, welding processes, weld test limitations, and materials.
- Ability to make self-instructional teaching materials and ready to use prepared study materials.
- The capability of preparing records, reading drawings, and developing reports.
Identical Exams for CWE and CWI
The exams for both a Certified Welding Educator (CWE) and a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) are the same except Part C – Code Book portion of the CWI exam. There is a possibility of obtaining CWE and CWI certificates simultaneously.
How to Apply for CWE Certification?
Applicants need to complete various documental formalities for applying. They need to visit the official website (https://www.aws.org) of the American Welding Society. At the landing page, there are four types of applications, namely-
- CWE Exam – Initial Application
- CWE to CWI Application
- CWE Renewal/Non-Exam Application
- Retest Application – CAWI, CWI, CWE, or CWI/CWE
Photo Size and Requirements
Applicants applying for the CWE certification program must adhere to the AWS requirements. Photo is one of the vital parts of the application. The appropriate size of the photo prevents the application processing delays.
Provide 1 Passport-style Color Photo consisting of the following.
- Photo Size: 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Photo not more than 6 months old
Certified Welding Educator Program Fees
The CWE program fee varies both for AWS members and non-members.
|Sr. No.||Types||AWS Members||Non-members|
Note: The price is subjected to change without prior notice.
Imp: Non-portal applicants will be charged a $125 fee.
Books for AWS Seminar Participants
American Welding Society provides some of the technical documents to the participants in the Seminar. These technical books help applicants in many ways during the certification process and enhancing welding knowledge.
- API 1104 Study Guide for API Standard 1104 Welding of Pipelines
- 1 Code Clinic Reference Manual
- Welding Inspection Technology
- 1/D1.1M Structural Welding Code-Steel
- Guide for the Nondestructive Examination of Welds
- Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing, and Nondestructive Examination
- Welding Inspection Technology (Workbook)
- Standard Welding Terms and Definitions
- Welding Inspection Technology Sample CWI Fundamentals Examination and Key
- Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors
- Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors
- Welding Inspection Handbook
AWS Pre-seminar Online Courses
They are ten in numbers.
- Destructive Testing
- Fabrication Math II
- Metallurgy II
- Safety in Welding
- Science of Nondestructive Testing
- Understanding Welding Symbols
- Welding Fundamentals I
- Welding Fundamentals II
- Welding Fundamentals III
- WPS/PQR Explained
Certified Welding Educator Program Exam Pattern
The certified welding educator test is identical to Certified Welding inspector except Part C. CWE exam consists of only two Parts i.e. A and B. Most of the questions are asked on fundamentals of welding and rest are from the practical.
|Parts||Topics||No. of Questions||Percentage (%)|
|A||Fundamentals of Welding||150||60|
No CWE Certification Testing If You
CWI, CAWI, and SCWI are exempted from the test if they meet the AWS CWE certification criteria.
- They should have completed the CWE Short Form Application.
- Applicants should be teaching either full or part-time in a classroom environment.
- They should possess and maintain a valid welder certificate.
- Candidates should have obtained a written recommendation from a teaching supervisor.
Renewal of AWS Certified Welding Educator
All AWS Certified Welding Educator should renew their CWE Certification after every four years. Before they apply for renewal, they must fulfill the following conditions.
- Complete the CWE renewal application form on the AWS website.
- They should have attested two years of activity in welding education practice during their four-year certification.
Do CWE Need Recertification?
Certified Welding Educator does not need recertification from the American Welding Society. They only require renewal every four years.
AWS CWE Certification Program Benefits
The certification program for Certified Welding Educator provides many advantages to the applicants. They are as follows.
1. Employment for Veteran Educators – The CWE certification programs benefit veteran candidates to show their educating skills and training tactics.
2. Fee Discount to Member Applicants – Applicants with AWS membership can have many benefits including fees. They receive so many study materials at reasonable prices.
3. Global Recognition – Applicants certified by the American Welding Society have worldwide job scoops. They can teach and work overseas.
4. Lifetime Certification – CWE does not need recertification. It is for your whole life.
5. Boost Employment – Certification from AWS will boost employment opportunities for the applicants in AWS member companies and sponsored ones.
Thus, the information on the certification process of welding educators is crucial to understand. Aspiring students, welders, educators, and other professionals can go through this valuable information before they step in the certification procedure.
Related: Other Welding Certifications