American Welding Society is a heavy-weight brand name in the United States for developing science and technology. Besides this, there are other bodies in the country offering certifications in different specialties. AWS operations consist of the application of welding, advanced training, exploring membership, cutting processes, conferences, certification, professional collaborations, updated standards, or creating many career opportunities in the field of welding. American Welding Society (AWS) provides leading-edge industry tools, knowledge, and resources to both job seekers and business-minded people.
- AWS Foundation
- AWS Membership and Benefits
- American Welding Society Certification
- AWS’s Educational Opportunities
- AWS Publications
- AWS Professional Programs
- Trade Shows and Events of AWS
American Welding Society
Comfort A. Adams founded the American Welding Society in 1919 as a non-profit organization. It was started with the purpose to move the welding industry ahead both for present and future generations. Therefore, AWS is the apex body for various certifications in the United States. Consequently, it has already proved excellency in the fields of technology, science, and application of welding.
The headquarter of the American Welding Society is in Miami, Florida. The organization of AWS comprises directors and voluntary officers. AWS has more than 70,000 members all over the world. The Society aims to cooperate with millions of industry professionals such as sales teams, manufacturers, vendors, welders, business leaders, associations, educational institutions, committee volunteers, and students.
AWS Membership and Benefits
Getting a membership in the American Welding Society is multi-beneficial. Further, it keeps up to date the professionals with welding industry news and publications; educational programs, and seminars; offering access to certification resources and networking opportunities. Furthermore, AWS provides four types of membership which are as follows:
1. Corporate Membership – This membership drive strengthens employees’ expertise and business impact. By joining it, you can access the electronic AWS Standards e-Library depending on the level of membership.
2. Individual Membership – By joining the membership, you can have news and publications from the welding industry, educational programs, resources for certification and networking opportunities, etc.
3. Student Membership – Students can have various benefits from it while accessing industry contacts, advice, and knowledge. Next, it shows the seriousness of students to employers and fellow professionals.
4. Welder Membership – It is a specialized membership for welders. After becoming a member, they can access seminars, certifications, courses, and other related resources. As a result, it gives welders discounts on tools, equipment, auto, and home insurance.
The members of the American Welding Society include a skilled workforce and others. They are more than 70,000 members in total spreading across the globe. They are educational institutions, distributorships, engineers, educators, foremen, end-users, independent shops, executives, inspectors, individual welders, supervisors, researchers, manufacturers, scientists, sales, and service teams.
American Welding Society Certification
Certification is necessary for enhancing career opportunities. Candidates require a specialized certification. It opens opportunities like leadership roles and more earning options. It also allows you to higher-level career challenges. At present, the American Welding Society conducts certification for nine certification categories. Some of them are supervisors, educators, inspectors, radiographic interpreters, fabricators, and welding engineers.
AWS is the main source of skills, education, and certification for the welding workforce. It started a Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) program in 1976. Over the years, AWS has certified more than 97,000 welding inspectors. Besides this, it has also certified other professionals in various categories.
AWS’s Educational Opportunities
American Welding Society offers educational opportunities to students worldwide. AWS programs consist of welding seminars, career path information, online welding courses, scholarship opportunities, welding conferences, and individual corporate programs. In brief, the programs start from basic to leading innovative technologies in the field of welding.
It is one of the best career-oriented educational and skill development programs. The full form of SENSE is Schools Excelling through National Skills Education. The program sets a comprehensive set of minimum guidelines and standards for welding education programs in welding schools.
Another initiative of the American Welding Society is the AWS Foundation. It was founded in 1989 with the aim to forward research, education, and development in welding education. AWS spent millions of dollars in the form of grants to faculty and students, research fellowships, and scholarships to undergraduates and graduates. It also provides a skilled and trained workforce to the welding industries all over the United States.
American Welding Society publishes some journals and magazines for technical updates on industry trends. Potential candidates can remain up to date with whatever is happening in the industry. AWS publishes in these magazines the latest professional and technical resources. The following are some of the journals and magazines.
1. The Welding Journal – It is a monthly magazine that publishes news on the manufacturing and welding industries. The content consists of welding research, professional and business developments, supplier information, and other industry news.
2. Inspection Trends – It is a quarterly magazine publishing news on materials inspection and testing professionals, technology, and safety measures.
3. Welding Journal en Espanol – It is a quarterly magazine for the professionals of Latin America and Mexican. It comprises topics from departments, welding Journal editorial department news, and tailored articles.
4. Welding Marketplace – It is a quarterly publication with the latest and hottest news on welding services and products.
5. Welding Handbooks – They are valuable manuals for references to welders, welding educators, engineers, technologists, inspectors, structural designers, and others. It consists of information on the practices regarding quality, weld qualification, safety, processes, and others.
AWS Professional Programs
American Welding Society offers many professional-specific programs. They comprise welding processes and technologies and their applications. Further, the professional programs consist of welding industry-specific ranging from welding techniques, quality assurances, production management, material procurement, testing techniques, etc.
Trade Shows and Events of AWS
American Welding Society time to time sponsors, participates, and conducts welding shows and events. FABTECH is one of them. It is the largest event in North America on the topic of metal forming, fishing, welding, and fabricating. AWS also takes part in the trade shows being held in the country. After joining, it shows valuable welding information to professionals. Hence, the purpose of the trade shows and events is to spread awareness about welding.
Thus, the American Welding Society is a non-profit organization working for welding techniques and professionals all over the world. In addition to it, it has set various standards for different welding activities. American National Standards Institute (ANSI) has also approved all of AWS’s welding standards and codes.
Related: Other Welding Certifications